Flex 6700 with Two Failures Likely Due to the Multiple Mechanical Relays Used in the Design

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
Alter one year of use, I have identified two apparent hardware failures, likely due to mechanical relays, in my Flex 6700.  One will not allow the switching of the Ant1 and Ant2 RF signals when the Transmitter is enabled to transmit on Ant2.  The other has caused a permanent 30 dB loss of all receive signals to SCU0.  I have tried multiple PC and Flex power resets and factory resets on the Flex.  Now facing RMA with four weeks repair time at Flex plus shipping time.  Using Win10P v1607 and SSDR v1.10.16.  Anyone else seen this?
Photo of Larry - W9FLA

Larry - W9FLA

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Timo - OH5KW

Timo - OH5KW

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same type problems with my 6700 also. 

73, Timo OH5KW
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1272 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes
Flex repair service is awesome, and pretty often beats their estimates turnaround time.

How did they diagnose it was the relays? Changes in RX performance might involve the ESD protection diodes?

Any idea what happened to do the damage?

Hope your radio is fixed and you're back on air quickly.

Steve
K9ZW
(Edited)
Photo of Timo - OH5KW

Timo - OH5KW

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I do not know what have actually happened. Flex service will tell that later. Now the radio is on my remote site.

I gave a presentation of my remote SDR station a month ago. Here is the link https://youtu.be/ze8GkOTfrl0

Lightnig protection or ESD, my remote station is running 24/7/365, as can be seen on the youtube video. 

Something to do with relays, because changing the transmit antenna is affecting RX ant sensitivity.

73, Timo OH5KW