Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 Satellite Setup?

WB0O
WB0O Member ✭✭
I have a Flex 6700, Smart SDR 2.2.8 and have the DEMI 2m Amp that was made specifically for the 6700.  It has a "bypass" port, but has a single IF BNC.      My question is, can I still come up with a successful wiring scheme for Satellite operation by adding a UHF transverter to my station?  

The wiring diagrams that I have seen in the past, had shown 2m amps that had both an IF in and IF out, and the IF out is what feeds the UHF transverter.   I am not sure, but I "thought" the bypass port was only for daisy chaining other transverters (one in operation at a time)??

Sorry for the naiveté , I am new to VHF/UHF operation with my Flex.

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/how-to-2m-and-70cm-demi-transverters-on-a-6700-ques...

Here is a link to how to do this I think
    I need to do the same thing here so hope this will work
    I think the IN/OUT IF is just a simple Power Divider so if your AMP doesn't have the IF Out just add one before the DEMI 2Meter AMP. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi there - I am using a DEMI 2M LDPA and also one of their 70cm transverters and have been successfully working sats. By the way, it’s awesome to have a pan adapter for that... hi hi I am not at home but IIRC my LDPA does not have a split IF but my 70cm does. I use the DEMI built “DIPS” relay box to handle the switching back and forth for full duplex. If you go to their website and download the manual for the DIPS, it has a diagram that shows what I am talking about. I’d post it but am using my phone in a very internet-limited area.... Hope that helps a little, if you need more just ask, I will be back home tomorrow and can look at my actual gear. Good luck! 73 Justin KL2D
  • WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks!  I will order this DEMI and try my luck doing the wiring inside my 2m Amp per their instructions.
  • WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for the note.  I plan to order the DIPS box and try my luck with the necessary wiring inside my 2m amp per their instructions.    WOW-  I saw your QRZ page - fantastic setup  :)
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ha thank you!!! Every time I think I have it just right.... I get the urge to make some adjustments ;-)
  • WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I should probably start this new question to you as a new thread-  I am the same way, I seem to be making drastic changes to my setup every month!    I am very curious to get your thoughts on your very high-end sound setup with your 6700.   Would you do anything differently if you were do start your sound solution all over again?    That Teac Amp is beautiful, but a bit pricey, so was curious if you think it is still worth the investment.  I would be wanting to route 3 different radios and my pc into it if i go that route, so I like your idea of using the mini mixer with it. 

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I tried some different options and I looked at a lot of different stuff, then just bit the bullet and got the Teac. It was more than I wanted to spend, but in the end I usually save by just getting what I want instead of trying several intermediate steps. There are tons of other amps out there so the options are almost limitless, but I liked the small footprint, and if we are being honest i like having old-school VU-meters   ;-)

There are probably better speakers out there, but I like the Palstar and they sound great to my ears. The Rolls mini mixer is awesome, it just seamlessly mixes in all the audio into one input on the amp. It is adjustable so you can set the levels however you want. Overall I am very happy with it, but it was kinda an expensive solution... Lots of people are using the powered Bose bookshelf speakers for Flex radios and they love them, I think that is what Tim uses when they are displaying the radios at shows. 

Also - finally got home and as I thought, the DEMI 2M LDPA just has the one IF (tabled TRANS) port, and a bypass which I am not using. I can email pics of the setup if you need them, but the DIPS works like magic with their transverter, and the 70cm does have split IF. 

Hope that helps, if you want any more info don't hesitate to email me, QRZ email is good.

Justin
    KL2D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.