Flex 6700: Different Power Output by band AND slice? (SO2R)

• Question
  • Updated 7 days ago
Is there a way to setup a profile to set the output power by band AND slice?

If I setup my station for SO2R using two different type amps, each amp would more than likely require a different amount of drive power to get the desired output.

For example my big amp requires 75 watts drive for 1500 watts out, but my small 500 watt solid state amp only requires 35 watts of drive.  50 Watts would over drive the solid state amp and cause it to fault.

The only way I know how to handle this is to set the profile up for 35 watts but then I would not get full output power on the 1500 watt amp.

Is there something I'm missing with profiles?

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 173 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I use DDUtil.  You can set maximum power outputs per band when the amp is on and in Operate mode and other settings when the amp is in bypass mode.  Works great and is quite dependable.

Norm - W7CK
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2255 Posts
  • 881 Reply Likes
As Norm mentioned, the Auto Drive feature in DDUtil was tailor made for this. Just set the drive levels in auto drive, enable it and you're good to go. It also has BOBC which puts the amp in standby when you change bands as a reminder to change bands on the amp. Press Ctrl O to go into operate mode again. 
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 173 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
R,R on DDUTIL.  It's a good program.

I don't think it will handle power by 'slice' will it?  Just global output power when it's activated?

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2255 Posts
  • 881 Reply Likes
Correct, just global. 

You can just setup two TX profiles for each SO2R pan/slice but you'd have to change it with each band change. 
(Edited)
Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 154 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Just FYI,

I opened a help desk ticket to make the PWR pot setting persist per slice and not go back to the initial profile setting when switching slices back and forth (SO2R). It seems I may have persuaded the support, and the issue is being tracked as issue # 6680.

Thanks,
Andy
KU7T
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 173 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
That would be great Andy,  I'm currently running a KPA-1500 and KPA-500. 

I need to go through my profile and be sure the KPA-500 or KPA-1500 doesn't get over driven as each is a bit different from a required power input stand point.

If the software get's an update from issue 6680 that would even be better.

I still need to give DDutil a try, I may do that this weekend in preparation for SS.  It's going to be a rainy weekend, it will be a good weekend to get things setup.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 154 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat with one amplifier and 2 ANT outputs. Another issue I have provided to the helpdesk, which may have helped pursuade:

All my antennas are for full power except one that can only handle 600W. It becomes very messy doing this with profiles. I believe I would have to setup about a dozen profiles, and even if I was doing this, I could not run with any different power level than whats stored in the profiles. So, I could not run with say, 500W, or 1K just by reducing drive (in a SO2R fashion). If I wanted to reduce power, I would have to chagne PWR AND save the profile. That really is not a good workflow. Hence the PWR should be persisted between slices and bands. 

If others need this too, please feel free to up-vote.

Thanks,
Andy
KU7T
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2889 Posts
  • 624 Reply Likes
When you open a profile with power set to lets say 10W in the profile you can just slide the power to what ever you want on the fly. So, the profile starts with the setting you set it for, then you can adjust the power after on the fly.
Photo of Andy - KU7T

Andy - KU7T

• 154 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Sure, you can adjust the power value on the fly.  However, the value is not persisted if you switch slices.

Move TX focus to the other slice and then come back (SO2R duel CQ). As soon as you do that, the power will fall back to the stored value in the profile and not to the changed value. That's why I asked Flex to make this part of persistence. 

The User guide explains the difference of profiles and persistence.

Persistence: "required no direct action from the operator, and when you return to a band, your settings are restored"

Clearly, persistence is needed to solve this issue. 

Thanks,
Andy
KU7T