Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 and N1MM+ At Remote Location

Options
K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Two of us want to use a Flex6700 at a remote location for a contest.  We will use SmartLink to make the remote connection.  We will take turns operating the radio, one operator disconnects before the other operator connects.  

We want to run N1MM+ at the remote location using TeamViewer.  The connection between N1MM+ and the 6700 is via FlexCAT.  This isn't working. 

Is the problem that FlexCat can only be connected to the 6700 on the computer controlling the radio?  That is, I can't connect N1MM+ at the radio since SmartSDR at the radio is not connected to or running the 6700.  

Having the common log at the remote site would allow us to share without having to swap files during operator changes.

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Is the problem that FlexCat can only be connected to the 6700 on the computer controlling the radio?  That is, I can't connect N1MM+ at the radio since SmartSDR at the radio is not connected to or running the 6700.  
    Not at all. I take part in the CWTs remotely and log on my home computer, just because it's easier to push that log to my main log and then upload to LoTW etc. 

In fact I was all the way in Buenos Aires Argentina and operating the ARRL DX SSB contest. I was using my iPad to control the radio and N1MM+ on my laptop. 

Make sure the chooser in CAT is connected to the correct radio, and that the ports are set up in the CAT app properly. They don't just carry over like other radio settings since the CAT app only communicates with the radio API and then sets up the COM ports locally.

In fact I think Chris N6WM does what you want to do at K6LRG.
    (but this pic is my apartment in BA)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi

This should work and that is exactly how I do it on my remote station.  You may want to share the N1MM and your settings.

FlexCat can connect from any computer to the radio as long as it is on the same network.

It sounds like you have a small setup issue.  Here is what mine looks like for an SO2R setup.  

Mike

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Actually with 2.0 FlexCAT can also connect via smartlink, not just limited to those on the same network
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ria, Does Winkeyer work reasonably well through the Smartlink-CAT? Do you run N1MM+ locally or remotely for CW contesting? 73 Andy KU7T
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Question for the big guns - Will a N1MM+ master at the transmitter site and two N1MM+ networked remotes work for them?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Winkeyer emulation works very well remotely. Sometimes I run local, sometimes remote.
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you Ria and everyone else.  It is now working.   My problem was not realizing there is a radio chooser in SmartCAT.  My last task is to see if I can get the audio working on Team Viewer.  If not, I'll fall back to Skype.

At least in terms of latency it appears that I am getting better throughput from Team Viewer and using the SmartSDR at the 6700 than using SmartSDR at home.  But then, Team Viewer is not sending audio (yet).
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Did you get this to work in TeamViewer?  How does it sound and do you get the sidetone with not too much delay?

Thanks,
    Andy
    KU7T
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It's a work in progress.  Team Viewer does a good job of sending the video.  N1MM+ is connecting fine.

We have resorted to Skype for sound.  By taking the sound coming out of the 6700 phone jack and plugging it (with some isolation) into the computer mic jack and using that as the audio source for Skype, we get sidetone from CWX and we get sidetone from N1MM+.  The delay is too much for sending comfortable CW by paddle, but fine for keyboard entry.  I will be trying with the Maestro next.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.