Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX-6600Ms with final software ready for covers and pack out

Gerald-K5SDR
Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Thought everyone would like to see the new radios loaded with final software.  These units are ready for covers, final pack out, and shipping. 

The engineering team installed automated software today at the factory to load a complete rack at a time with SmartSDR v2.1.30.  This will dramatically speed the flow of radios.  

We are working hard to get them out the door to you as fast as possible.  Watch your email.

Gerald

Comments

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Gerald.   Looking forward to mine.  
  • Dave VE3VSM
    Dave VE3VSM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Who will be first to order an entire rack?
  • David NT8Y
    David NT8Y Member
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the photo. Starting the wait for my new one.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thank you for sharing this and your comments, it helps a lot to hear from you. I have a 6400M on order and it will be my 1st Flex. I got to tell you it's been a love-hate relationship here trying to understand everything that goes into bringing a new product to market and the wait and missed dates. I have read as much as I can find on you and your company in other words the history trying to understand. I listened to a podcast you did and this helped a lot. Anyway enough of all this Gerald again it's helpful to hear again and often from you and the team.
    K9CRT Doug Decatur, IL
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Pretty cool! Cannot imagine how excited the new owners will be when the UPS truck arrives!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Like a rack of ribs!
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Neat to see behind the scenes pictures like this. You should post more!
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited January 2018
    I'll  have the rack-of-M's with spicy sauce please.  Maybe a side of amplifier and a headset.
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't think we are dealing with a Ford Motor Company assembly line here at Flex.  And unlike Legacy Radios these have complicated software to install and test on each one.
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited November 2019
    "Flex buyers are getting a superlative radio instead of a radio that Rob Sherwood has described as little more than a IC-7300 with two antenna jacks."  Did Sherwood really say that??  I'd love to see it in print.  I heard it was two 7300's in one box.  $3,800 for the capability of $2200.00 worth of 7300's.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Rob did state that he used a IC7300 in one of the contest this year because his TS990 got hit by lighting and he sounded pleased with the radio. He does have several Icom radio's and the IC781 is one of the main radio's he tends to go back to and compare other radio's to it.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Going nuts waiting.  

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Patience my friend.   I'll be the same way as mine get to me sometime in April.

• G0VLF
    G0VLF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the update on progress and the photo of the new radios. Looking forward to receiving my 6600M in the near future, here in the UK. Ray de G0VLF
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'll take a half rack please... Have to watch my rack weight these days!  :-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    I am sure Michael can work you a deal on a half rack.
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Soon Doug, very soon! 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I don't think that is accurate and I would be surprised if Rob actually said that. The architecture has been modified somewhat. Still not up to the level of Flex radios but better than 7300.
  • N1UW
    N1UW Member
    edited January 2018
    Well, I don't want to get Mr. Sherwood in trouble and I certainly don't want ME to get in trouble with Mr. Sherwood.  Rob did not explicitly say that.

I based my comment on his interview in Ham Radio Live, episode 99 during which he essentially said there was no such thing as one "right" radio.  The buyer has to weigh his/her operating preferences and radio performance with the cost of the radio.  If a person doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles, one would  be hard pressed to justify spending three times as much money for a radio.  I believe this was said in the context of comparing the 7300 to the 7610.

So, while my comment may have had a sarcastic edge to it, I stand by what I took away from Mr. Sherwood's interview.

Frank N1UW
  • spinnaker
    spinnaker Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You may want to see the IC-7610 review (13 Dec 2017, NC0B/Sherwood) located at Eham where he gave it a very solid 4 out of 5 rating.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yep, and he did that because he said the defaults were "wrong."

However he did say he could be talked into a 5. 

I am surprised that Jarrad VK3BL gave it a 4 though. I thought he was thoroughly in love with the radio. 
  • K7QDX
    K7QDX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So just to confirm, you are shipping all four models at once. In the beginning I heard that the "M's" were going to be shipped first, then the non "M's". I guess it doesn't really matter. The radio will get here when it gets here.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the update Gerald !

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    i receive mt non "M" tomorrow   so all ship  at same time
  • Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Can someone from Flex give a little insight for the reason behind the metal divider inside the case? Sorta reminds me of my old 3-500 amp without the glow. :-) The photo also eliminates the speculation the case was made bigger to allow room for the control panel to be mounted to the front panel. It’s actually full of parts.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited February 2018
    All four models are shipping.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited February 2018
    The metal divider is for the Faraday cage between the digital world and the analog world.  It is also part of the cooling design to channel air across the FPGA and CPU using ducts that are not visible in the photo.  Everything has a purpose in the design.

Yes, and it is really full of parts.

73, Gerald 
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    I saw the same post and also listened to Rob's presentation live.  As a recognized industry professional and perceived subject matter expert, It didn't get a "5" for the same reason it didn't make it into the top 10. Rob has to be very careful about what he says and how he says it. What he might say to you or me candidly over adult beverages (with no recorders present) likely bears more finite details than what you'll read in the sanitized public version.  Also the 7300 literally took the industry by complete surprise and QST even correctly called it a "game changer".  In 2 years they've sold close to 20,000 of them.  By comparison and somewhat metaphorically speaking, the 7610 simply builds upon and expands that platform except it's 3.5x the price.  No it's not two 7300s in a common box, though such a configuration would likely give you at least 85% of the 7610's functionality (plus SO2R) for USD 1600 less while also giving you the missing second VFO knob.  Alas, we have digressed...

• KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No apologies needed for the digression... That's one of the best parts of this forum. I love it when it stops being an echo chamber and we get to have some conversation!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.