Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600M on for five days?

NA0B
NA0B Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My WEMO + relay are ordered, by they will not be here until next week. I leave today for a five day trip.

Can I leave the FLEX 6600M on for these five days? Should I?

I have WEMO switch to shut off  the power supply in case of need.

73 de Juan, NA0B

Best Answers

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I'm up 7x24 as well.  Except for the line of thunder storms headed my way.  Lightning Maps is a great way to watch in real time.  http://www.lightningmaps.org/#y=46.1791;x=-79.4048;z=10;t=3;m=normal;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=9;dl=7...;

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Concur with Ken. I've had my 6500 (now 6600) on for pretty much years straight. It is designed as a server, so keeping it on all the time is not a problem.

That said, it's always a good idea to have some way of shutting things down in event of a malfunction or unsafe conditions. A WeMo makes a great **** switch for the power supply. More elegantly (and better for the gear) is a networked switch with contact closures that can turn on and off the rig via the rear panel RCA jack, select a dummy load on a remote antenna switch, and reboot accessories as needed. There are several good ideas around for doing that, many of which are quite economical.

If you are in a lightning-prone area, nothing will save you from a direct hit. Physically disconnecting the cables before you go is probably the safest bet. Unfortunately, that makes it hard to remotely attach them! With good protection and a remote antenna switch to disconnect the rig, you will be good in most circumstances, though. Risk vs. reward.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    And a good insurance policy for the other times....
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ken, I thought you had a special "cloud based" insurance policy with the man upstairs? ;-)

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Me too!  Good one, George....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I wish it worked that way!  LOL!
  • NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you all for you excellent advice and thanks to Michael for the Lighting Maps site.
    I do a fair amount of travel for work, so this is very nice. 

73 de Juan, NA0B

• kb2huk
    kb2huk Member
    does the screen stay on and active all the time or does it sleep after a while ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭

At this time the Screen stays on all time.

• NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020

It stays active. Mine is on 24 X 7 and I have not noticed any effects. I do set the brightness level very low.

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I have in the past turned on my 6500 when leaving on a trip and no issues. I now use a Wemo switch to turn on & off my radio using the relay kit you can get at Flex site or also on Amazon. This works great and you can turn on/off the radio with your cell phone or other device.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.