Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 6600M Instability

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Member ✭✭
Hi All - I made the following observation:
I keep my FLEX 6600M always running over days or weeks. Suddenly the 6600M goes into a funny sleep mode and the smartLink is not working anymore. If a press the Power Button the built-in screen will not disappear. So I have to remove physically the power cable to reboot the 6600M.

Is this behavior normal?

73, HB9RYZ
Wolfgang
www.hb9ryz.ch

Comments

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Hi Wolfgang,

I've had a 6600M running continuously since I got it (several months) with 2 panadapters and 2 slices in each pan. I had to reset once due to a power failure, and once with a WSJT-X glitch, but aside that no trouble so far.

There are plenty of questions to be asked but my first would be how are you networking? I have a 1GB hub Cat6A hard wired to my router, and then the radio & computer Cat6A hardwired to the hub. I would also look at computer CPU resources. I've noticed the more slices you leave open the more CPU resources are used. If you are not careful, you could pin yourself up against a 100% CPU burden which will ultimately (and unpredictably) cause problems with the OS.

Hope this helps - good luck !
    Jim, WQ2H
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've noticed that my 6600 only attempts to obtain an IP address once, and that is during the boot process.  If the rig boots without the network plugged in and then a network with a DHCP server is connected to the rig, the rig does not try to obtain an IP address upon noticing the cable has been plugged in. 

So it may be that the rig is losing internet connectivity and is entering that strange state and not realizing that it can obtain a new DHCP lease.  

My network DHCP server is set with an unlimited expiry, so the only time this has happened is when the rig has booted while disconnected or while the DHCP server was itself rebooting.  

Most network hardware these days will automatically try to reconfigure its network interface when a network cable is plugged in or physical link connected after having been disconnected.  The 6600 does not seem to have this behavior. 

Not sure if this is the same issue you are having, but a few of the characteristics look the same so I figured I'd mention it. 

Matt NQ6N
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2018
    There is a known issue when disconnecting a client from a SmartLink session that can sometimes leave the radio in a state where new connections will not be completed.  Rebooting is the workaround for this problem.  We have fixed this problem in our Alpha code and the fix will be included in the next release.  I suspect this may be what you are seeing.
  • Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi All - thanks for all your answers. Let see if the new release will solve this issue.
    In the meatime I will reboot my 6600M every day.
    73, HB9RYZ Wolfgang

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.