Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600M at Remote location and Mistero at home location. Will this work?

Don
Don Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Maestro
My name is Don, W4TO. I am a nube to the flex forum. I have been reading the post for severla months. I have been trying to learn as much as I can in advance of having ordered a 6600M and Maestro. I have been remote for over 10 years. Currently, I am using a Arris Surifboard SB00DXD6109 mode. into a Netgear Nighthawk X4SAC2600 router. From there I plan to use of the eithernet ports to to a 4 port switch. which will handle the 6000M and a RRig box to a Elecraft K3.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    Sounds like a reasonable network configuration.  What is your Internet upload and download bandwidth?
  • Don
    Don Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Upload and download at remote site is 100 meg. At the home location it is 100 meg down and 50 Meg Upload. Thanks for the comment.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    That is more than sufficient bandwidth for SmartLink by an order of magnitude. You should be good to go.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Maybe Tim can comment but I do not think it will work for digital modes.  Flex did not build remote DAX capability into V2.
  • John AK4Z
    John AK4Z Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello Don...This is your neighbor AK4Z. I am running a flex 6700 and really enjoy it.  Give me a call and I'll be glad to answer questions and share my experiences. 
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Digital modes are easiest to remote by using a remote desktop program like Splashtop or TeamViewer to operate the shack computer remotely.  I can run 6-meter FT8 via those arrangements without using my Maestro.

Additionally, the remote desktop method allows me to turn the antenna rotator by using the shack computer's appearance of PstRotator.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    DAX is currently not supported via SmartLink.  It is a feature we are investigating.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You can also use a VPN. I use digital modes over VPN. It works. RemoteHamRadio and RemoteRig let you route audio for digital modes over the WAN, so it's possible. 
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I thought you were going to say "this is your neighbor and I want to talk to you about the RFI stuff." :)

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited March 2018
    So where can I find out how to set up a VPN since I've never used it?   All I've ever done is Teamviewer to control the shack remotely, and port forwarding with the Elecraft k3 with the remote RRC twins....thanks, Jim - W5AP
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Jim,

I have your router model and have successfully employed OpenVPN to operate my station remotely. Here are instructions for configuring OpenVPN on your router and remote PC: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Good luck and 73,
    Larry KB1VFU
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited March 2018
    Larry, I have a Netgear WNR 1000v4 which doesn't have a VPN capability - At least I couldn't find VPN under the Advanced tab.   What router do you have or recommend?
    I downloaded Open VPN but found no clear instructions on how to deploy it to a router.  Oh well

Tnx, Jim
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Jim,

First, I mixed up your message with that of the original poster, hence the confusion over your particular router, which doesn't support OpenVPN as far as I know.  

Second, I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S (R7800).  While it has been around for more than 2 years, Small Network Builder continues to rate it #1 among AC routers. 
    https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

This router has embedded OpenVPN server, is fairly easy to configure and works well for remote Flex radio operations.   The wireless performance is superb, particularly 5 GHz. I operate my Flex 6600 flawlessly from a Windows tablet at a distance of 85 feet from the router through 3 walls and a floor.

Third, I formerly used an Asus RT-AC68U (not be confused with the newer RT-86U) that supports OpenVPN and other VPN protocols. While the wireless range was not even close to the Netgear R7800, OpenVPN  support was superior on the Asus (stronger security and numerous configuration options)  and it performed a little better in congested internet conditions.   There are archived posts on this forum regarding configuration of OpenVPN on Asus routers. 

Fourth, I also have a Dell Optiplex micro (Win7) sitting on my LAN running SoftEther VPN. This free application provides a VPN solution in software on Windows and Linux computers.   It's more complicated to set up than the routers, however there are archived posts on this forum regarding configuration, including installation on Raspberry PI computers.  With SoftEther you don't need a router with embedded VPN support -- all that is required is port forwarding. https://www.softether.org/

If wireless capability is a priority, I suggest you check out the Netgear X4S R7800. On the other hand, if VPN capability is a priority and you would be happy with somewhat lower wireless performance, you could consider the newer Asus RT-AC86U.  Both are about $200 and highly rated by professional reviewers and consumers. 

Hope this helps. Good luck and 73,

Larry KB1VFU

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited March 2018
    Larry, Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like I better get a new router if I'm to do anything remote-wise with the SDR system (I have a 6600M and a Maestro). I now need to find out how to access and use the 6600m via a VPN. I don't know anything about that.  I have used port-forwarding before with my Remote Rig 1258 MKII twins and a K3. Can you point me to an article or utube that uses the VPN with the Flex radios....Tnx, Jim - W5AP
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Jim,

Here is a "howto" guide for Asus routers:
    https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/security/security-howto/32538-setting-up-and-using-openvpn-on-asus-routers?limitstart=0

Additionally, on this forum, here is the setup for an older Asus router, which should largely apply to newer routers:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/openvpn-with-asus-rt-n66u-router

The link in my previous post is good for Netgear routers:
    https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli... 

Note that the TAP mode driver is used for both setups.  You can choose either UDP or TCP protocols, the latter is slower by not as lossy over less than ideal internet conditions (normally I use TCP, which has error correction).  With Asus you must create login credentials (user name/password), but not with Netgear (authentication is embedded in the exported OpenVPN configuration files). 

Let me know if you need additional info.

Larry KB1VFU
  • NK9E
    NK9E Member
    edited May 2018
    FWIW Don, I operate a Maestro strictly remote to a 6600M over the Internet.  It works great with SmartLink!  My ISP is Comcast and I use their Internet modem/router/wifi box, as is.

And, I have operated successfully from:  my vehicle using an iPhone hotspot/Verizon Wireless; several open wifi systems at restaurants, etc.

So, before you spend any time/money try SmartLink the straightforward way!  Previously, I used a K3 and RemoteRig to a remote K3.  SmartLink is as good or better than that arrangement.

73 es, DX   Gene   NK9E
  • Dick Bal
    Dick Bal Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi Gene, I would like to comment on our QSO from yesterday. Someone switched the main power supply, and was not able to finish our QSO. By the way I'm interested in flexradio solutions --- 73 Dirk / PY2UDB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.