Flex 6600M and Yaesu SP-9000 speaker?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
I am unable to get my new 6600M to work with the Yaesu SP-9000 speaker? I hooked it to the rear power speaker connector? What may I have overlooked? Many thanks in advance for your help!!
Photo of Francesco Doenz

Francesco Doenz

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Jerry W4UK

Jerry W4UK

• 45 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
A guess - the speaker does not have an internal amp. IIRC, the flex radios audio output is at headphone level, requiring an amp for barebones speakers.

Jerry w4UK
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes

Actually, I think the rear jack is at Line Level, or maybe lower depending on the volume slider settings in SmartSDR, or volume knobs with Maestro. So an external speaker amplifier, or powered speakers will be required. I've used an old Stereo Receiver / Amp to power a set of stereo bookshelf speakers in the past. But I ran into. ground loop and RFI problems doing that. I've had better luck with PC speakers. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
           Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of Francesco Doenz

Francesco Doenz

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hm....what kind of amp do I need to get the speaker running?? And if that does not exist, what kind of speakers do I need, what kind of specs of the speakers do I have to look for when buying? Many thanks again for your help, I am a new ham HB9GUO just fresh licenced in march and only now try running my Flex! Did a few forays in SOTA with a KX3....
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 587 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
I plugged a set of Bose Companion II speakers (amplified computer speakers) into my 6600M and have had really good results with them - I like the sound. Also has a second input for computer (or other) output.

Also, if you look around in the Community articles, you should find some references to good outboard audio amplifiers that work on 12 volts and are not expensive - available on eBay. Not sure how price will be affected in EU area.
(Edited)
Photo of Francesco Doenz

Francesco Doenz

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Many thanks for your answers!!
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 586 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
I hunted around and found the link to the 12V amplifier: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...
Photo of Francesco Doenz

Francesco Doenz

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Many thanks!
Photo of Gene Duprey

Gene Duprey

• 125 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
The Flex requires a powered speaker.  I'm using the West Mountain Radio COMspkr set, which I bought at HRO.  They work very well.
Photo of Mike Sonn

Mike Sonn

• 46 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I've been using a Klipsch 2.1 powered speaker system going all the way back to my Flex 3000.  Same speakers have worked great with 4 different Flex radios through the years.