Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 with SPE 1.5K enhancement

Options
Tom Worthington
Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
I have a Flex 6600M, SPE 1.5k and two antenna systems.  I use a Steppir for 6-40m and a pair of crossed dipoles for 60,80 and 160m.  The problem was I could not listen on the two antenna systems simultaneously and still be able to transmit with the amplifier on either antenna.  Ant1 from the Flex is connected to In1 of the SPE.  The Steppir is connected to Out1 of the SPE. I use the Tx1 line on the Flex to key the amplifier and use both hardware ALC and RS232 power control between the SPE and the Flex.

I added a high power relay from W6PQL that switches the dipole antennas either to the Ant2 connection on the Flex (NC) or to the Out2 connection on the SPE (NO).  The relay is controlled by the Flex Tx2 line.  On all bands except 60 the Flex transmits on Ant1 but receives 60/80/160 on Ant2. On 80/160 asserting both Tx1 and Tx2 switches the antennas and keys the amp.  On 60m I receive and transmit using Ant2 of the Flex because I can only run 100 W and the internal tuner on the Flex handles the antenna mismatch better.
73 and Aloha, Tom, NH6Y
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Sounds like a great configuration.  Just to clarify, is the 60/80/160 dipole a fan dipole?  Also, what switching do you use between the "crossed" dipoles?
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Just a pair of dipoles at more or less 90 degrees with a common feed point.  They are each tuned for the CW/Digital end of the bands.  It tunes on 60m with some difficulty but I only use if for inter-island communications so it doesn't need to be very efficient.
    There are a couple of advantages, first I can listen (on any band) on the dipoles while Rx and Tx on the Steppir taking full advantage of having two SCU's and if I turn the power off to the amp it defaults to being able to operate on either antenna directly from the Flex.
    Before this I had to manually switch the dipole system from the SPE output to the Flex Ant2 connection.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.