Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 VS two 6400s

Bill Roberts
Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
Here is my situation and yes, I have read several 6400 VS 6300 threads.  I've been seriously thinking of a 6600 in Spring, 2018 but stopped to consider my style of operation, needs and concerns.  

OPERATION - I enjoy general phone and CW, do little contesting and only about 5% digital.  I only have two simple HF antennas so I'd probably not take real advantage of diversity reception in a 6600.  I find two receivers more than adequate for my needs.

NEEDS - We have homes in Michigan and Florida.  I'm tired of carrying an IC 7300 & accessories to Florida and then back to Michigan for Field Day.  I'd like to place a signature series radio in Florida.  

CONCERNS - I currently use a 6300 and am satisfied with it's performance.  I am mildly concerned with the fan issue in 6300s, etc.  My radio is "preowned" (bought from Flex two years ago) and is not showing any signs of cooling problems aside from what I assume is PA cooling when I get long winded (but only drive my amp with 40 watts max... ouch).  The radio has made a few trips to Austin to resolve other hardware issues.

Soooo...  I'm considering selling or trading in my present 6300 and ordering two 6400s, one for Michigan and another for Florida.  Either option costs $4000 (minus trade-in) and would provide both homes with a Flex.

Any opinions from the Community?

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Bill

The fan on the 6300 isn't a big deal.  My 6300 is one of the first and it is been running almost nonstop since it game out.  1/2 of it's life has been at my remote station.  It has been totally 'gently abused' as being part of an Alpha test radio and it hasn't missed a step.  Flawless.

The 6600 gives you the advantage of the 2 SCU's and the 7th order band pass filters, not to mention 4 slices.  However, as you said, the 6400 gives you most of what you need.

For $1999, I think the 6400 is an awesome buy.  Why not keep the 6300 and just pick up a 6400 as your 2nd device?  Should your 6300 have a possible fan issue you can always send it in for service if need be.

Just my thoughts,  Mike va3mw

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Unless you just want new gear, if a Flex-6300 meets your requirements, one suggestion might be to trade in your IC-7300 to Flex for another Pre-owned 6300 for your 2nd QTH.  That would require a minimal cash outlay.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    My two cents...keep the 6300 and add a 6400. If the fan is a concern, replace it before you put the radio into remote service. I agree, the fan replacement is no big deal. The Flex Service Dept. completed my 6300 fan replacement and shipped the radio back the same day. YMMV.
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Bill, I have a similar situation just different cities.  In the primary location I have a 6300 with a computer as well as a Maestro.   I also have a FT-950 Yaesu which is like new in the second location. The 6400 I have on order was to replace the FT-950, now I am not so sure.

The 6300 with V2 and the Maestro give me the ability to operate from either place just by carrying the Maestro back and forth or just using my laptop. The 950 gives me a radio in the second location when I want to turn knobs.
    I was also concerned about the fan issue but it seems to be a non issue if Austin can turn around a repair that fast.

Since I have a full time computer in each location, using Team Viewer I can login to either one and turn on the DC power to the Flex and turn the Flex on/off by using one of Denkovi's USB relay boards and an AC switch I got from Amazon.

I like Paul's (K6HR) suggestion of keeping the 6300 and add a 6400 and may go ahead an do that.  One less thing to learn and remember about how to operate my radios and with V2 and a Maestro can operate from anywhere.

73, W4SG Dennis
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You already own two radios. Why not leave one at each location? Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy a new radio, which is OK of course.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That may be true.  Thing is, I do need the 7300 in Michigan for Field Day and occasional short trips involving HF operation.  Thanks for your feedback.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    All good thoughts.  I really appreciated the level set on fan failure and replacement.  Thanks one and all.  Yes, I do enjoy new equipment and am always looking for an "excuse" to get a fix!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.