Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600, SmartSDR V2, and HRD Logbook setup?

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi:

For a week I have been successfully using WSJT-X 1.9.1, JTalert, and HRD Logbook on my Flex 6600.  Thanks to Ria, Michael, and few other users who emailed me, it's rock solid.

Next, I started playing with SSB a lot more.   

QUESTION:  I would like to have HRD logbook fill in the band/frequency when I go
to add an SSB log entry.   I realize that for this to happen with other rigs, I would configure HRD Rig Control.    But SmartSDR already *is* rig control.    In googling, I read articles that pointed to  DDutil or MiniDeluxe as providing a bridge for the needed information between SmartSDR and HRD applications like LogBook or DM780.   Is this true?   Can DDutil or minideluxe provide the band and frequency info to HRD logbook, for example?
And if that is true;  which of the two apps do people suggest I use?

Cheers,

Neal

Answers

• WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Neal,  I have used DDutil and HRD.  I tend to use the HRD program 95% of the time, since I also have other HF rigs that it can control.   I have read from others that they didn't like that way as it is yet another program drawing down on the PC,  but I haven't noticed any issue at all.  I just start up HRD, and minimize it , but keep the HRD logbook up on my screen.  Works great for me.  r/Mike
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm using SliceMaster to get track band and freq for HRD.  I like it, but I haven't heard or tried the apps you mention.

Bob, WK2Y
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sure seems to me that just using HRD to fill in the mode/band/freq. is the easiest way to do it.  That's what I do.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You need to think of SmartSDR as the radio (which it is!) and not rig control. Rig control from logging software to a radio is traditionally done by serial (or "COM") ports, using a cable from an RS232 connector on your PC to a similar connector on the radio.

This capability is provided in SmartSDR by SmartSDR CAT, a separate program. This creates a virtual COM port, automatically connected to the radio, to which HDR or other logging software connects and both reads the radio status and controls it. I suggest downloading the current version of the SmartSDR CAT manual from the FlexRadio web site and studying it.
    Basically, you will create a CAT port in SmartSDR CAT, then connect to the port in HDR setup. Simple and easy! It takes more time to tell about it than it does to do it.
    Craig, KØCF
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Of course, I should have type "HRD". I must have had 4k HDR TVs on my mind instead of "Ham Radio Deluxe"!
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Google search DDutil and HRD Logbook. I did not want the HRD rig control as Flex has this more than covered but wanted everything else HRD has to offer. With a bit of configuration everything plays perfectly. Actually I find it the perfect companion to the Flex SW, you get to monitor the temp of your radio, and link it to QRZ. Flex on monitor one and HRD and DDutil on monitor two. Yes there is a beauty in a PC based station.
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Google search DDutil and HRD Logbook. I did not want the HRD rig control as Flex has this more than covered but wanted everything else HRD has to offer. With a bit of configuration everything plays perfectly. Actually I find it the perfect companion to the Flex SW, you get to monitor the temp of your radio, and link it to QRZ. Flex on monitor one and HRD and DDutil on monitor two. Yes there is a beauty in a PC based station.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    This can be done without DDUtil if you choose.

All you need is HRD MiniDeluxe https://github.com/krisp/MiniDeluxe/wiki

This will broker the communication between CAT and HRD.  MiniDeluxe needs to know which CAT port to listen to, so you will have to add a CAT port of course and which Slice to read the frequency.  Usually Slice A.

It looks like this:

Radio <-> CAT Port <-> HRD MiniDeluxe <-> HRD Logbook (etc)

Now, HRD can hear the frequency from the radio to update your logbook, etc.

Mike 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.