Flex 6600 or 6600M

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Flex 6600 or 6600M. Am almost new in the world of Flex. I doubt between a 6600 or a 6600M. I already own a maestro. I would have liked to know what the big differences are and whether the maestro needs to upgrade to have the same features as the M version. So please give some clarity in this new discovery. Everyone talks about the M version. Am I then wrong to take over a colleague's maestro to use it on the 6600 version? Thanks and best 73 '
Photo of Kurt Onvijfdz

Kurt Onvijfdz

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brad A. Steffler

Brad A. Steffler

• 92 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I have grown so accustomed to using the screen and the mouse that I view using knobs as a return to the past and an undue complication to operation.  While using CW, even, I only make adjustments while in receive so that using a mouse does not interfere with my using a key. And I am VERY right-handed (because of a left arm nerve injury). Even thought I am 68 and almost 69, I still find use of the mouse to be more intuitive than knobs. Just to give perspective,I started out in ham radio with a Kenwood TS 520SE in 1980. It only took me about 30-45 minutes after I got my Flex 5000a to decide I liked using a mouse better than using knobs and deep menus with knobs.

Sooo  - the 6600 is much more appealing to me for the HF rig rather than the 6600M. I just replaced my 6500 with a 6700, I am so convinced that my comuter screen, for my old eyes, and my mouse are much more efficient. I may get a Maestro, but I really enjoy the seclusion, comfort, and privacy of my shack and my two large screens so much that I seriously doubt it. I do use a tablet, but I much prefer my desktop with 24 inch screens. I also have fat fingers and I find the small touch screen on my phone to be a hassle. I like the big screens.

Disclaimer: I am a former Fortran IV and C programmer and thus I am biased to my desktop and laptop computers and their point and click interface. I also am a diagnostic radiologist and I read CT, MRI, Ultrasound and conventional radiographic exams off a pair of high resolution screens for my income. So I am very comfortable with point and click.

Just another perspective.

Brad
KE4XJ
Photo of Kurt Onvijfdz

Kurt Onvijfdz

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
thank you for your answer. Is indeed another vision about the use of the device.
73 '
Photo of Martin Ewing AA6E

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 295 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I came up with Fortran IV also. That might make me partial to the punch card & line printer. But there was a long period of glass teletype work. Point and click came much later. I am halfway serious when I tell folks that Flex should support keyboard control more than they do. Different strokes, indeed!
Photo of Gary L. Robinson

Gary L. Robinson

• 248 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat as Brad.  I don't need or want the knobs and dials.  I even bought one of the USB knobs from Flex a year or two ago and after a few weeks never used it again.  So I sold it.  For me it's just faster using a mouse and keyboard with a big screen.  I'll be 68 later this year and will never go back to an analog rig with teeny menus, and a pot full of knobs and switches - so it just depends on what works for you.