Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 connection with Microham SM

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
I did a little search here and it is not clear to me how to connect 6600 and Microham Statio Master. I use Microham microkeyer II and station master for a long time with Yaesu FT5000 and it works great. I am planning to retire microkeyer II but use SM for antenna switching. Besides USB connection to PC and choosing COM port, do I need any other connections to SM? Thanks Sergey, KN7K

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sergey this support probably should be directed to Microham.  I notice they have a specific cat cable CAT RS232-YX that they advertise for use with the flex 6000 series.  this may be a cable that you interface using the USB cat option of the flex. I would guess that the band data for the MH would come directly from the CAT USB interface of the flex.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you Chris,
    I saw this cable mentioned here on community but I still do not understand how it can be used.
    It seems like one side of this cable is 3.5mm CAT could be connected to a Station Master, but where another end of the cable DB9 is going?
    Should I use DB9 to USB converter?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You likely will need a genuine FTDI USB to Rs-232 converter to plug into the USB port in the back of your flex 6000 radio. You can find a guide for the usb cable interface in the documents section of flexradio.com, and the usb to ra232 can be purchased from flexradio store or if you know exactly what you are looking for you can get them at mouser
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Chris, it worked.
    One cable connected to 6600 with FTDI chip recognized by radio and I renamed it to Station Master. Second cable connected to 3.5mm CAT port of Station Master and to FTDI cable.
    Works as a charm.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Great news Sergey, glad to hear it worked out OK.  enjoy your fully integrated Flex 6600!
  • 9k2rx
    9k2rx Member
    edited July 2019
    hi Sergey
    did you used 2 cables, or you manually converted the (usb - rs 232 cable with FTDI) to 3.5mm jack?
    request your feedback as am stuck :( 
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Honestly, i do not remember how I made it work, i did not write it down.
    Sorry...
    Last year my SM "smoked" and died, I switched to Antenna Genius.
    Sergey, kn7k
  • 9k2rx
    9k2rx Member
    edited July 2019
    thanks dear for your prompt response

Basil, 9K2RX
  • DL1DMS
    DL1DMS Member, Unconfirmed
    Hello,

today I got a FlexRadio 6600 and I would love to connect the Station Master to it. Any Switching diagram available or some further infos?

vy 73

DL1DMS
  • Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

You need to purchase or make the cable CAT RS232-YX that Microham sell https://www.microham.com/contents/en-us/d1213_CAT-Cables.html

Then buy a FTDI USB to RS-232 cable/adapter to plug in to the Flex and connect them up, that will give you CAT data from the Flex to the Station Master.

Rich

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.