Flex 6500 worked great in NAQP CW

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago

As an owner of a contest station I am continually evaluating new technology.   As a contester I have been hesitant to take my 6500 into battle.  Well the weekend brought me some time, and so I decided to do a test run of my flex, using N1MM + in the recent NAQP CW contest.  I operated in very simple conditions, not from my contest station but with a SteppIR dipole on my roof of my neighborhood QTH and low power.  Although this was a very limited test the concept of contesting with this rig Its showing definite early promise.  Combined  with K6TU control I was able to operate effectively and was shocked of amount of stations worked in a short time from such a meager neighborhood setup.  With the added benefit of seeing everything going on as a great side benefit. 

I am very excited for more improvements that will add additional contest features to this rig.  As the folks that make those popular little black boxes (that are just a bit down the sherwood scale) out there have found out.. if the contesters embrace the platform...  Game on!

Keep up the good work and excited for 1.4!

I will post more as my efforts,testing and scores get more serious.. and try more modes.

Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I've used my 6700 with N1MM and N1MM+, and 3 ele SteppIR for digital contesting, and digital and SSB W1AW/7_MT Centennial operations with excellent functionality and results. I'm very excited about exploring the upcoming features even though current s/w (1.3.8) is working nicely. For my level of contesting, it's a FABULOUS radio, and getting better!

Chris, what size/model is your FlexRadio monitor?

Dave W7IWW
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes

That is a 48 inch LED TV Hooked up to the HDMI port of my PC :)

works well as a big "show your friends" monitor

Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Nice. Thanks. Dave