Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6500 will not BOOT up

David-N1DRS
David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
Radio 1 week old Tryed unpluging , hard reset 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbzRkpSNLo

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You may need to hold it longer. With the radio powered off, press and hold down the “OK” button on the front panel of the radio. Momentarily press and release the power button to power on the radio. Continue holding in the OK button until the front display counts down to 0, the power LED starts flashing white and the “CALIBRATING...” message is displayed, then release the OK button. Allow the radio to continue booting normally. How long did you keep power off (actually disconnected) before trying the reset? Give it a few minutes - maybe 5 or so. Also, how is your power supply voltage at the Powerpoles?
  • David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi George thanks for the response.
    I shorted the time holding for the video but I've tried a couple different ways .
    I only had it unplug for a few minutes so i'll try that.
    Also check the power supply voltage at the powerpoles and looks fine
  • David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ok Update

Was able to Hard Reset now i have this

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I'd put in a help ticket if you didn't get it to come to life.  That way FRS will have it in their queue in the morning.  Link is in the links for the main community page as zendesk.

GL and 73

Steve K9ZW

• David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Thanks yes first place i went :)
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Hi David

Really check over your DC wiring and power supply.  It is big enough presumably?

There are two internal fuses.  But since the unit boots enough to do an error message one would thing the main 30amp is fine and the receiver/exciter board smaller fuse might still allow the radio to boot.

Certainly worth trying another master reboot and perhaps a different power supply.

If none of this wakes it up I'd get that help ticket in and let the pros at FRS help you out.

Hoping some small thing corrected gets you sorted though!

Steve K9ZW

• David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I've done a hard reset about 10 times now with same result . Also change to a 50 amp Astron same result. Had to 6300 for two years with no issues one week into this one and it doesn't work great
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If I remember correctly, the 13V8B signal point is just past the internal fuse in the radio, indicating a blown/open fuse. I'd check with Flexradio next.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    PSL indicates a low voltage on a power supply.  The supply identified is 13V8B.  13V8A is the external 13.8V connection to the radio.  If this didn't work, you wouldn't see anything, anywhere, anytime (in other words, it's not the connector on the radio).  The 13V8B supply is the same supply after crossing the internal fuse.  The voltage reading provided (0.01V) indicates that you have voltage before, but not after, the fuse.  This is why the radio is suggesting a fuse issue.

Download the documentation for installing the GPSDO unit.  Follow the instructions for removing the bottom cover.   There is a small automotive fuse in the radio on the bottom of the radio.  Inspect that fuse.
  • David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    figures I just remove the top cover and inspect it the 30 amp fuse . And it looks fine I'll take off the bottom now and inspect the fuse
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David,
    You may find it helpful to monitor the voltage at the powerpole connector while it is plugged in to the radio.  The way I did it was to use some cut off safety pins attached to alligator clips.   SEE pic below.   

FWIW -- I'm using an Astron RS-35M supply and at the radio the voltage is typically 13.7 on RX and 13.5 on TX at 100W.

If you have a connection issue or some other glitch in the supply lines this may help find it or rule it out.  If nothing else it may be good data for the help desk.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10

image.   

• David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well just pull the bottom cover the 5 amp fuse was blown.
    also checked the 30 and it looks fine .
    Still have a ticket in with FRS .
    Stuck till after work need to fine a 5amp fuse 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    David
    If it's an automotive Littelfuse style mini-fuse Autozone probably has them in stock.
    Any automotive parts store likely does too. Walmart might even have them.
    Might even be a spare 5 amp hidden in your cars fuse/glove box.
    I expected trouble locating the mini style fuses a few years back.
    Autozone had them.   
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yea Replaced it today after work and once I turn the power on the fuse popped . So one week old radio less the. five hours of talk time now It need to go back Not very happy at the moment
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So sorry to hear, David. For what it's worth, I've had my 6500 running daily for several years (I was a preorder customer) and the only down time was due to my error. Sounds like you got one of those rare "birth defects." The rigs are really quite solid, and the repair service I received was first-rate. They'll make it right, I'm sure.

• David-N1DRS
    David-N1DRS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I agree I had to 6300 for two years not one issue
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2018
    David - I am sorry to hear that you have experienced a hardware failure with your new 6500 and the inconvenience it has caused.  Unfortunately, hardware issues like this do occur, albeit rarely.  I see from your HelpDesk ticket history that Dudley has expedited getting your issue resolved as quickly as possible at no cost to you.  As soon as you can get it to a UPS drop-off location, the faster we can get it resolved. Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this unexpected issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.