Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 upgrade from 1.3 to 1.3.8 taking a long time

N7BCP
N7BCP Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Flex 6500, MacBook Pro running windows 8.1 64 bit.  Started from "cold" boot of computer and radio.  Closed (exited) smart cat and DAX.  Downloaded SSDR 1.3.8.126 from Flex Radio download page.  Installed it without error and launched Smart SDR 1.3.8 and the radio was yellow (upgrade) so I selected upgrade and the radio display shows "updating software" and the power LED is pink.  The radio has been showing updating software for over an hour now.  How long should this take?  Should I do something to recover or just leave it?

Larry
HB9EYQ

Answers

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Something's wrong, it should not take long at all. I removed all SSDR components - 1.30, CAT, DAX drivers, etc., and rebooted before installing. A re-install took about 15 minutes.

• Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    shut it down and reboot the 6500
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Nick - I did just that, hit radio power button and it powered down without issue -rebooted PC and started SSDR 1.3.8, then powered up radio and it showed up in the radio chooser as yellow again, selected update and radio display shows updating software and power LED is pink - will see if this works now.  If not, I'll uninstall SSDR and start over.

Larry
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Had a similar problem. Remove all DC power from the radio after shutting down. Then restore power and turn radio back on and try updating the firmware. Everything should look normal.

Jim, K6QE

• N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    after ~30 minutes I shut down the radio and removed DC power.  I then uninstalled SSDR 1.3.8 and 1.3, rebooted and then removed the SSDR installation folder under Program Files.  Reinstalled SSDR 1.3.8 and connected radio DC power and started radio.  6500 showed up in chooser and I started upgrade again.  Just checking out the flex prior to JOTA.
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    6500 finally upgraded to 1.3.8 - final attempt the radio went through updating software, LED was pink, radio rebooted automatically and SSDR radio chooser stayed at upgrading (yellow) but never noticed the radio was done upgrading.  Closed and restarted SSDR and radio upgrade was complete and seems to work now.  I also noticed that second to last attempt, the radio said "updating software" but LED stayed green and never finished after 30 minutes.  Not sure what actually fixed the issue.
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Radio still losing connection.  Pan freezes and then a dialog box showing that it lost connection with the radio.  When it does stay connected I also notice that the pan adapter waveforms are lagging behind the audio by 2-3 seconds - it's obvious when listening to an SSB station, the station stops transmitting but the pan shows the SSB modulation for 2-3 seconds.  Stop and start SSDR gets things back in sync again but this comes back.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    They know 1.3.8 has a few bugs so if I were you I would back level to 1.3.0
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Do you have a second computer to try 1.38 on? I would be very interested to see if the problem goes away by retro-grading to 1.30. Maybe the problem cropped up due to some corruption on the hard drive. These kinds of problems can drive a well-balanced and happy individual to insanity.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    OT: That is one of the reasons why I multiboot. It is so handy having another OS on the same hardware for troubleshooting.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    And that is the reason I am a disciple of hard drive imaging.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    How are you running Windows on your Macbook?  Boot Camp?  Parallels?
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I run it on a iMac 27 with the parallels. Works great haven't had any issues at all.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Sorry...this question was really for Larry.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I also run Parallels 10 on iMac 27" with 3.5 GHz P7.   And you are correct....this works wonderfully well.  Parallels also makes it easy to have multiple Windows environments running simultaneously to do A/B testing.
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I'm using boot camp to boot windows 8.1 - this is not running on a hypervisor.
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Boot camp

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.