Flex 6500 to OM2500A Communication

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Trying to get OM2500A to communicate to Flex 6500. Using DDUtil 3.2.1, set OM2500A to Kenwood, 19.2 baud, 2 bit. Running DDUtil and frequency appears in title bar. Try using Repeater 2 with com port of USB to Serial adapter and 19.2 baud. No communication. Try Repeater 1 no luck, tried Passive Listener and it communicated for a brief second. Could not get it to communicate again. Also tried 1 bit on OM2500A. I am at a lost! I need help, has someone gotten this to work. PC is running Win 7.
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
  • frustrated!

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 430 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
Charles, what type of USB-Serial converter are you using (FTDI or Prolific)? If you need to check, go to the Device Manager and I think you will see it there.

If its Prolific, you need to buy a FTDI adapter instead.

If its FTDI, I would try updating to the latest driver from FTDI.com first. 
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Thanks Neal. The device I bought was a StarTech 1 Port USB to Null modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter cable with FTDI. I think the drivers on the disk were dated 10/14.

It would be nice if anyone out there could tell me the exact devices they are using with an OM amp that is currently working properly.
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 430 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
Charles did you download the Flex 6700 guide from OM power? It looks like they are using a regular RCP port instead of the repeater or passive ports.
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 430 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
The guide is under the HF2500A section here
http://www.om-power.com/downloads
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
That's it Neal.  Thanks so much.  Will try that tomorrow.  Nothing like trying to get a piece of equipment to work 2 days before the start of a major contest.  Some things never change! Hi Hi
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Tried all suggestions in the OM  to Flex manual. Tried using RCP, Repeater 2, with Null modem and without num modem. The closest we got was using Smartcat Com 4 on first tab and Com 4 in Port on first tab of DDUtil and RCP1 with FTDI nullmodem device on Com 8 (B) clicked. Intially the OM gave communications lost, but when we changed band the OM followed to band and freq. The OM indicated band and freq. then after 10 seconds or so it indicated communication lost again. When I changed band the OM followed indicating band and freq. then communication lost reared its ugly head again. We thought we had it solved, but it quit working altogether eventually.

When it was working I noticed on band changes the steppir motors on OM did not engaged until power was applied, then the OM indicated inhibit momentarily, then steppir motors activated indicating band and freq. correctly. BTW cable to OM are short. 

????
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1086 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

I had the 2500A and used it with DDUtil. Make sure the cable is wired properly. Since you are using a null modem USB adapter you may need to flip pins 2 & 3 in the cable from adapter to amp. Also you only need 3 wires - 2, 3, and 5.

Dave wo2x

• 1086 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes
Kari

I will reply in detail when I get home tonight.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP, Elmer

• 182 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Look forward to that. Thanking in advance...

• 1086 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

Hi Kari,

What are you using in the radio for a serial port? USB to serial? If so, possibly RF interference to the USB adapter is causing the disconnects. I use a 4 port PCI-express serial card.

Next question, if you are using a USB to serial adapter is it straight through or null modem? For the straight through USB adapter you need a three wire RS-232 cable from the adapter to the back of the amplifier. It should be wired pin 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and 5 to 5. Also same wiring for hardware com port to back of amp.

If you use a null modem USB adapter then you need to cross pins 2 and 3 (pin 2 to 3 and 3 to 2). Pin 5 to 5.

In SmartSDR CAT create a CAT port. Select Serial and Existing. Choose the com port number the amp is  connected to. It defaults to slice A so the amp would follow slice A's frequency.

This is from memory as I haven't had the OM 2500A for a while.

Dave wo2x

Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Hi Kari,

I took the easy way out. I bought a Icom CT-17 level converter and use ddutil to send out Icom CAT commands to the OM2500A. Works like a dream. You do need to get a 9 pin to 25 pin cable converter. I thought I put that info on the community a while back. If not, when I get back from vacation next Tuesday I will dscribe exactly how to do it. It does require ddutil to get the freq info from the Flex to put it into ICOM format to send to the CT-17 that connects directly to the OM CIV input. Use the OLD ICOM setting on the OM and you're in business.

• 1086 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

I don't see the CT-17 being the easier route since Flex SmartSDR CAT now supports talking directly to physical COM ports.

It sounds like Kari's issue is more with the serial interface in the PC rather than a software problem.

Dave wo2x

Photo of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP, Elmer

• 182 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hi Charles and Dave,
I use a physical COM Port (COM 5). I hooked up a null modem cable and checked it with a loop test that it returns same letters. So cable is good. Then I have connected it to TRX RS-232 input of OM2500A. I have tried both ways - via DDUtil and directly as you suggest Dave by connecting COM Port 5 to a CAT port issued by SmartCAT and VFO A. But neither works. I just get "communication lost". The baud rate is 9600. I doubt whether CI-V will do it. But it is worth a try.

• 1086 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes
I believe you need a straight through cable not null modem from trx port to PC. Make sure in smart cat you select existing port.

Or try the PC port with the null modem cable.

Amp should be set to Kenwood CAT protocol.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

• 25 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
9 Pin Null modem from PC serial port  to TCVR port on the OM power, 9600 8 1 N. No DDUTIL, PA follows Slice A only. Set Flexradio (or Kenwood) as device setting on the OM Power CAT dialog. Once Flex releases the CAT port that exports TX slice freq on VFO A all slices will be supported.