Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 to Acom 2000a

Ron
Ron Member
Attempting  to hook up Flex 6500 to the Acom 2000A. I have tried the old method I used with the PSDR with the RCA cable that didn't work. Then I tried to a USB DB9 FTDI cable with the null modem cable.. Ddutils doesn't seem to read it.
The port is right. W 7 does not show any conflicts with the port.. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be great appreciated..

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ron

The RCA cable should work just fine, just make sure you have enabled the RCA port PTT in the radio setup section of SmartSDR Settings.

• Ron
    Ron Member
    edited July 2015
    If I understand you correctly I put the RCA jack on the back panel on the 6500 to the PTT Jack. Correct?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Yes, thats correct. Then go into the settings menu at the top of the screen and select Radio setup. Then click on the Transmit tab and you will see where you can click to enable the RCA PTT.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    In the file section of the DDUtil Yahoo group I posted a step by step guide to setting it up. I will try to access it here on the road and repost it here. Bottom line, the serial cable needs to be a null modem cable with only three wires connected, 2 to 3, 3 to 2, and 5 to 5. Dave wo2x
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    DDUtil controls the 2000A from the serial port to change bands, control driving power, etc. To actually key the amplifier, connect to one of  the three TX relay driver outputs, which are on the rear panel of the 6500.  See your quick start guide for details of where they are located.  You also need to go to the settings menu, transmit tab, to enable the driver output you have plugged your RCA cable into on the 6500.  The PTT input connecter on the back of the 6500 is there to force the radio into xmit such as with a footswitch, etc. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Heres the setup guide Dave wo2x Setting up an Acom 2000A with DDUtil Acom 2K Setup • To connect the Acom 2000A to the Flex through DDUtil you need a "basic" DB-9 male to female null modem cable. This cable uses only three wires. to 3, Pin 3 to 2, and Pin 5 to 5. • Connect this cable from the RS-232 port on the back of the amp (not the connector on the remote) to a com port on the PC. RS-232 Pin 2 • DO NOT use a full, store bought, null modem cable the RS-232 connector on the amp that are not used DDUtil Setup • Download the latest version of DDUtil and install as there are other pins in for PC communications. it. • Click Setup from the menu bar to open the Setup form. • On the Amps tab select the PC com port you will use for the Acom and select 1200 baud, then click Enable. Note: Do not try to use any other baud rate besides 1200 setting. • It is recommended to use the Auto Drive feature of DDUtil to automatically set the power output per band so when the amp is in operate the radio power is adjusted automatically for the band the radio is on. • Make sure Amp 1 is selected and check the bands you want to use the amp on. • In the Options group, select the options you require based on your needs. A good default setting to begin with is BOBC and Amp Follows DDU PTT checked. Note: See the Auto Drive wiki article link above for Options descriptions. o BOBC forces the amp and DDUtil to go to standby on band change. This is done for safety as it allows you to verify SWR before bringing the amp on-line. o Amp follows DDU PTT allows you to click the OPER (green)/STBY (yellow) button on main DDUtil screen to toggle the amp between operate and standby. When in standby it also disables the TX1 keying RCA port Flex. • Select the Enable check box to activate the Auto Drive feature. • A window will appear on the PC desktop labeled A2K. This window is your interface for controlling the A2K from DDUtil. • Connect an RCA (phono) cable from the radio’s TX1 connector to the Acom (PTT) connector. Notes: on the Key-In 1. DDUtil uses the TX1 connector for Amp 1 and the TX2 connector for Amp 2 for the PTT key lines. Operation • Now turn on the Flex and you should see frequency and mode appear in the title bar of the DDUtil main window. • Turn on the main power switch on the Acom 2000A amp. • On the Acom remote console, push the red On/Off switch to power on the amp. In the DDUtil Acom control window the Acom 2K power button should go green and ON, the OPER button should be pink and say WAIT while warming up. • Once the amp is warmed up, click on the yellow STBY button in the DDUtil main window and it should go to OPER and the amp should also go to operate mode and band change to the proper band.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Seems it did not format correctly. I will try to repost later or you can get it from the files section of DDUtil Yahoo Group Dave
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Jim If using DDUtil Auto Drive, it only controls TX1 output for amp keying. Dave
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    100 percent correct Dave, use TX1.  Glad you thought of the 2000 setup file in DDUTIL group on Yahoo.  Whoever sent that write up in did a very good job.  73s. Jim
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    I wrote up the procedure and Steve, K5FR formatted it up and merged with his WiKi data. 73 Dave
  • Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited November 2015
    How can we see the procedure that Steve K5FR merged to his WiKi data?

Tim - KI6LSB
  • Ron
    Ron Member
    edited July 2015
    Dave,
    Thanks for the great guide on how to setup the Acom 2000a with Ddutils.
    I have port 3 set up chosen on the 2k amp on the Amp tab. But it is not stilling see the amp.
    Do I need to setup a Virtual Serial Port pair such as 3-13?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    Join the DDUtil Yahoo Group then go to the files section. There is a pdf on how to set up DDUtil with the Acom 2000. I posted it here but the cut and paste formatting was a little off. Dave wo2x
  • JOGESH DEWAN
    JOGESH DEWAN Member
    edited June 2020
    Hello Everybody, this A75GM from Qatar need to make one cable for Acom 2000A to Flex 6700, where can i see the pin Diagram for usb cable as which pin from usb to Acom 2000A can anyone send it to my email , kumarmvt@yahoo.com, Thanks in Advance 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2020
    If you have the new style remote control unit on your Acom 2000a then download the Flex USB cable configuration guide
    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

page 15 has the setup for the Acom 2000a

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.