Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6500 relay clicking regularly and not holding frequency with SSDR 2.1.33

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I've had an interesting problem here with my Flex-6500 after updating to 2.1.33.

The update went without problems, I did a factory reset and cold start in the usual way. I imported my profiles, installed my waveforms and started up all programs to work FT8. After about 3 minutes a relay in the Flex-6500 started clicking regularly about every 3 seconds and the received frequency started to shift with each click about 1kHz and then went back to the original frequency, like a sawtooth. I tried everything in the book, like reset, cold start, restarting my notebook, using SSDR only (no other programs running) - nothing helped.

As a last resort I downgraded to 2.1.32 and the problem seems to have gone away. The Flex6k5 has now been running for an hour and is running stable (fingers crossed).

I wonder what has happened, sounds like PLL unlock (?!?) causing a frequency shift. About a year ago there was another post here https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-6500-clicks-every-three-seconds but I don't know how the problem was solved. 

OS here is Windows 7 64bit and Windows 10 pro 64bit on the backup notebook.

Alex - DH2ID

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Check the front panel microphone connector. Sometimes, accidentally shorted pins can activate tuning. If you update SSDR with the microphone out, is everything okay?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you for the info, George. Accidentally tuning surely wouldn't cause a freqency shift. Downgrading helped.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well, I would simply try 2.1.33 again. Since it is a simple upgrade, I would install the software and go. I wouldn't go through all the effort to reset the radio from scratch. The main question is: Is the problem reproducible?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I can reproduce the problem: Frequency shift with 2.1.33, not with 2.1.32 (see attached picture)

What I did: 

1.  updated to 2.1.33 from 2.1.32
    2. Factory reset, imported Profiles, Frequency stable
    3. Flex-6500 shutdown, PC shutdown, PS shutdown.
    4. Restarted PC, Flex-6500: Clicking all 3 seconds started, SSDR shows sawtooth pattern
    5. Factory reset, all cables off, PS off: No change
    6. Downgraded to 2.1.32: Clicking started again, SSDR shows sawtooth pattern (now with 2.1.32!!!)
    7. Factory reset, all cables off, PS off: Frequency stable again (scratching my head :-))

Now what causes this? Any ideas? Has someone experienced this also?

I'll open a ticket...

Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No issues on 6600, so must be related to previous 6000 series??

Rich
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm not sure what it is, Rich. Might also be related to my Flex-6500 having been in use for 5 years now. I have opened a tickret with FlexRadio and will report the results here (or maybe Tim will do that ;-)) - 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm not sure that the click-sawtooth problem is related to the version update anymore. Today it started all of itself and I upgraded to 2.1.33 and it went away. I hope it will stay that way. All else I can think of is that it is a (beginning) hardware fault.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    Alex, this is a hardware issue where the driver clock is not disciplining the master XO.  I think the software upgrade was just coincidental.  If you are not using an external clock source, then contact Norbert at our Service Center in Germany to facilitate getting this fixed.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tim, would it be related to a GPSO? perhaps in the radio?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    The radio is not getting a proper clock source to drive the XO.  So what the default clock source is matters
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tim, I'm using the internal clock. Ok, I will contact Norbert, thank you.

UPDATE:  the TCXO is not locking in correctly sometimes. If it reoccurs, I will have to send the 6k5 in for testing and repairs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.