Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX-6500 not powering DEMI 2m xvtr

Joe - KB6IGK
Joe - KB6IGK Member
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Almost no power is getting from the 6500 to the DEMI L144-28HP 2m xvtr. The radio keys the DEMI, but I see NO power level indicated on the radio or on the xvtr. On one attempt, the solid orange indicator on the radio hardware illuminated, signifying "Transmitting on XVTR port with low power."

My xvtr worked when connected to a friend's 6500 in a test -- good rf output. Our equipment and settings appear to be the same (I had even replicated his configuration when ordering the DEMI). I'm using the radio's GPSDO for my 10MHz input to the xvtr, and both the radio and the xvtr show the blue light indicating "locked."

SOME rf seems to be getting out because I had the frequency set for a local repeater, and keying transmit activated the repeater.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is your DEMI rated to operate in the upper half of the band? Is the output better at 144.2, for example?

In the SSDR transverter panel, what is the output level (dBm) set for? does changing it make a difference?
  • Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited June 2017
    No output at either end of the 2m band. I've tried the output level on xvtr panel at both 0.0 dBm and 5.0 -- no difference.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Are you using the USB to engage the tx on the demi?
  • Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited June 2017
    No. Have only tried FM.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I meant the usb cable from the demi, or are you using one of the tx rca for ptt?
  • Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited June 2017
    Got it. I'm using TX1 for PTT.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    This is what mine looks like, as I use TX1 and TX2 for amps.

So TX3 is the one I use for the XVTR.
    And just to cover all bases here is the screenshot of my XVTR for 70cm. Yours will be different RF Freq.

So if you hare certain you have the TX1 connected and enabled then it might be your ApolLO32 Board. 

Now mind you that I am talking from my experience from my 70cm XVTR from DEMI... maybe the 144MHz one is different. But I would be surprised if the ApolLO32 board is different.
    I installed the ApolLO32 board myself but forgot to solder the bridge points on the board for it to function.
    This is what they look un-soldered.

In my case, I had to join #0, #4 and #5 (I haven't found a picture of the points bridge with solder... I am sure I took one...)
    Look in your ApolLO32 documentation for the right frequency of operation and the correct jumper combination.

Also, for my DEMI xvter I can use the internal clock instead of the ApolLO32 board by turning it on in the opposite direction. The ON OFF switch is actually a 3 position switch. Up is ON with Internal clock, middle is OFF and down is ON with the 10 MHz reference through the ApolLO32 board.

• Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Joe and I tested his DEMI xvtr's with my 6500 and my 10MHz source. We adjusted the 2m TXIF gain control in the DEMI xvtr to produce 50W output at 145.95 MHz with +10.0 dBm drive and Tune Power=100 on my 6500. With that adjustment under out belt, we felt that there would be no problem when he moved the xvtr to his 6500 with +10dBm drive.

I am confused by the meaning of the solid orange indicator on the radio hardware, signifying "Transmitting on XVTR port with low power." There should be no problem with using low power drive on the xvtr port. I regularly use my DEMI xvtr with RF Power set to 1 for low power output from  the xvtr. That does not cause my 6500 to give the solid orange indicator on the radio hardware.

Ron W5RKN
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I believe the orange light signifies tx from XVTR port regardless of power.
    I also think that opening a Support Ticket with FRS might be the way to go.
  • Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have used my 6500 with my 2m xvtr  for a couple years and have never seen an orange light.  The light turns red when I transmit.
    Ron W5RKN
  • Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Salvador,

You may be right. I asked my wife to look at the LED when I transmit on HF and when I transmit through the xvtr. She says it looks more orange on xvtr. I know I have a touch of color-blindness so you and she may be right. But they look the same to me. Alas!

Ron W5RKN
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It is a faint difference in color but it is different... It also says so in the manual :) hi hi
  • Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, all. I think it is time to open a support ticket. I'll post the results here for others. I appreciate the suggestions.

Joe KB6IGK
  • Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I think I put in an enhancement request for Flex to put the following in the text panel on the front of the 6500: "Light is red", "Light is orange", etc.
    Ron W5RKN
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Or maybe change the orange to purple or yellow so it is more noticeable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.