FLEX-6500 not powering DEMI 2m xvtr

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Almost no power is getting from the 6500 to the DEMI L144-28HP 2m xvtr. The radio keys the DEMI, but I see NO power level indicated on the radio or on the xvtr. On one attempt, the solid orange indicator on the radio hardware illuminated, signifying "Transmitting on XVTR port with low power."

My xvtr worked when connected to a friend's 6500 in a test -- good rf output. Our equipment and settings appear to be the same (I had even replicated his configuration when ordering the DEMI). I'm using the radio's GPSDO for my 10MHz input to the xvtr, and both the radio and the xvtr show the blue light indicating "locked."

SOME rf seems to be getting out because I had the frequency set for a local repeater, and keying transmit activated the repeater.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Photo of Joe - KB6IGK

Joe - KB6IGK

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1594 Posts
  • 561 Reply Likes
Is your DEMI rated to operate in the upper half of the band? Is the output better at 144.2, for example?

In the SSDR transverter panel, what is the output level (dBm) set for? does changing it make a difference?
Photo of Ron Parsons

Ron Parsons

• 73 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Salvador,

You may be right. I asked my wife to look at the LED when I transmit on HF and when I transmit through the xvtr. She says it looks more orange on xvtr. I know I have a touch of color-blindness so you and she may be right. But they look the same to me. Alas!

Ron W5RKN
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1759 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It is a faint difference in color but it is different... It also says so in the manual :) hi hi
Photo of Joe - KB6IGK

Joe - KB6IGK

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, all. I think it is time to open a support ticket. I'll post the results here for others. I appreciate the suggestions.

Joe KB6IGK
Photo of Ron Parsons

Ron Parsons

• 73 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I think I put in an enhancement request for Flex to put the following in the text panel on the front of the 6500: "Light is red", "Light is orange", etc.
Ron W5RKN
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1759 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Or maybe change the orange to purple or yellow so it is more noticeable.