Flex-6500 + Log4OM + fldigi + wsjt-x

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I'd like to give Log4OM a try. I have it kind of running (I think). It reads the Flex frequency but I'm not so sure about the mode. (DIGU = SSB logged?)

My big question is, how do I start integrating fldigi and wsjt-x? I've started looking at fldigi with Log4OM but using omnirig fldigi can't seem to read the current frequency and the mode is blank. fldigi also can't set the frequency on the rig. I've viewed the Log4OM/fldigi tutorial and followed along with the setup but I'm either missing something or I need to do something different with the Flex involved.

I'm currently running DXLab suite and all is OK. Just want to try something different. Again.

Anyone running these apps together and have it working well? Toss me some clues please. I seem to be pretty clueless today.
Photo of Kevin K4VD, Elroy

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

• 823 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3497 Reply Likes
Fldigi does not support OmniRig as a CAT interface.

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

• 823 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
OK - I think I confused myself.

Log4OM connects to Flex with omnirig.

fldigi connects to Log4OM using xml-rpc.

RigCat and Hamlib are turned off in fldigi.

Still same problem unfortunately.
Photo of Brad Adams (N4PYI)

Brad Adams (N4PYI)

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I saw the same thing recently with Log4OM logging DIGIU for a SSB Phone contact. I have not looked into it extensively as yet, but I intend to. Would be interested in any findings. I will try to do some testing. My Log4OM follows the radio for frequency, etc. But may not be following the mode when FLDigi is open at the same time. I have not tried it with only Log4OM and no FLDigi.
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Try using Fldigi with RigCAT to control the rig.  You can download the XML to control Slice A or Slice B from the Sourceforge site.  Simply create a CAT port in SmartSDR CAT for Log4OM (sounds like you already have that), another for Fldigi, set Fldigi to use RigCAT on the port you've created for it, and then set Log4OM to monitor the Fldigi logfile for new entries.  

There's no real need to use XML-RPC with Log4OM when you're not limited in ports.  

Using this setup, I have my 6500 working just fine with Log4OM using OmniRig on SmartSDR Cat port COM4, Fldigi on COM5, and WSJT-X on COM6.  All have full control of the rig, all use different ways to communicate with the rig, and it all works flawlessly.  
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Haven't tried with a remote SQL database; not a normal use scenario.  

I don't know why JT-Alert wouldn't work with that setup as it is communicating with Log4OM, not necessarily the database directly.  The ADIF File Polling should work regardless because Log4OM is doing the ADIF file polling, not any external program; all you have to do is point it at your WSJT-X ADIF log file and when you save a QSO, it will auto-import just like the Fldigi setup mentioned above. 
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 538 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
It says right in JTalert... "Only SQLite format Log4OM log file is currently supported" I'm using a remote SQL database which is not SQLite..  Anyway will look into the ADIF polling setup..

Thanks
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 538 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
not finding "File Polling in Log4OM Communicator (Settings, Inbound, Inbound Settings, ADIF File Polling and enable File Monitor)."
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Start Log4OM, go to the Communicator window.  Make sure it is "stopped". 

Click the "Settings' menu (in Communicator)
Select the "Inbound" option
Select the "Inbound Settings" option

That brings up a window entitled "Inbound settings" with two options: UDP Connection for Incoming QSO, and "ADIF FIle Polling".  

Put a check mark next to "Enable File Monitor", click the "select file" button and navigate to your WSJT-X log file (usually C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\wsjt_log ... replace XXXXX with your user name).  Leave the starting position at "0"

Click the little disk icon to save and then start Communicator.  It will scan your ADIF file and if there are any new ones, it will import them.  This may take a couple of minutes, so don't worry if it doesn't show anything at first.  After a while, if you check back you'll see that that the "Starting position" will now be populated with a new value indicating the last position in your WSJT-X log file. 
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I forgot to add that the next time you log a QSO in WSJT-X, Log4OM will see the changed file and will import the new QSO. 

This doesn't work just from Fldigi or WSJT-X, but for any program that uses an ADIF file for a logbook.  
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
The developers of LOG4OM announced that they are stopping any further development on ver 1.X and will concentrate on 2.x to be released at a later date not yet defined. Just FYI.

The latest version of Log4OM (1.25) slows my PC quite a bit... so I might give up on it until 2.x comes out or go to a previous version (1.24) which was a bit more stable (for me at least).

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

• 823 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
OK - I think I figured something out. ADI monitoring is set up in two different places. I first set it up under this menu:

But that is the wrong place. The right place is the Inbound settings just above. I wonder why the confusion? A question for the Log4OM people I guess. At any rate, fldigi+Log4OM seems to be working good.

I think I can use the same general approach to WSJT-X/JTAlert-X but I'll do some searching first. I wouldn't want to update the the ADIF source for each new program.

Thanks for the clue!

Kev K4VD
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Kevin. ADIF polling can be setup in both places...you can actually monitor two files; one FLDIGI and one other. Under the FLDIGI section, it is labeled slightly differently.

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

• 823 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
Hi Dave. I will have to try it again. It didn't seem to work for me under the fldigi.

Another thing I noticed. With fldigi & DXLabs, when I typed a call into fldigi DXLabs would come up with all the previous records for that call. I think the little bridge shim took care of that.

Because Log4OM won't see the new entry until after I've saved it in fldigi I won't see any previous QSOs or the notes from them. That might be a showstopper for me.
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Export your log from Log4OM, then import the ADIF file into Fldigi.  That way, your log will match and you can indeed see if you had a previous QSO (but not the details). 

The ADIF polling under the Fldigi setup section will only work if you actually have any logs in your Fldigi logbook and if you select the correct logbook: usually logbook.adif.