Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6500 how to use JT65-HF

Andrew Rose
Andrew Rose Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

My rig is Flex-6500 Software v1.6.21.159

I would like to get take a closer look at JT-65. 

Recently installed JT65-HF-1093

Have tried setting up the various controls but nothing appears on the in the black rectangle on the software display.   Can anyone help?     What settings should I be using, for ‘Sound Input and Sound Output devices’?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Rx: Dax Rx 1

TX: Dax Mic Audio 

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Better wsjt-x
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Andrew,

I would suggest that you use WSJT-X. It is very actively developed and has many more modes that *will* interest you. JT9 is particularly amazing. I do not know how quickly the other JT programs get the enhancements but WSJT-X is *the* original. Also, have a look at JTAlert, I could not imagine operating JTx without it.

Things are quite easy to get set up.

Have fun es 73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Andrew Rose
    Andrew Rose Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
     Ok it looks like JT65-HF is not going to work with my Flex-6500.

I have installed WSJT-X and it looks good, except!

Under ‘Settings / Radio” the button “Test CAT” is red and brings up message

“Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig”

Can anyone help?

What settings should I be using:- Network Server - Sound card in / out - anything else I should know?

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • Andrew Rose
    Andrew Rose Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Many thanks to you all for your in valuable help in getting me up and running with WSJT-X.

I don’t really know what I am doing but I am having fun!  Who said amateur radio was easy?  There is more and more and more to learn.  Thanks until next time. 

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016

I agree that wsjt-x is the currently top choice for jt modes.

I operate that mode most every day.

Unfortunately while I scrolled back a ways, I did not see your callsign.

But if you hear (and see my callsign, W9OL, feel free to give me a shout, mostly 160, 80, and 40 but can do other bands. No one needs cook county Illinois, so I rarely call cq.

But I answer all qsl requests.

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Andrew,

Actually the Flex-6500 will work fine with JT65-HF, but like the others here, I strongly recommend that you use WSJT-X. The author of JT65-HF, Joe Large, abandoned the project several years ago due to health and other issues while WSJT-X is still under active development by Dr. Joe Taylor and a **** team of programmers. They will soon be releasing version 1.7 which has much improved JT65 decoding so there is no time like the present to get started using this great free software product.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @Andrew. Ham radio was a lot easier when I first did it in 1975. No computers, simple rig and a log book made from dead trees. Stuff just worked. Now much time is spent fiddling with stuff so programs work with each other...and that is before transmitting anything. Yes, it is fun...but sometimes I hanker for my Yaesu FT200 so I can get on the air without all the putzing about.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.