Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 GPSDO install - how long does yellow solid light stay on?

N7BCP
N7BCP Member ✭✭
Just instsalled the GPSDO option in my Flex 6500.  after radio boot and connecting via SmartSDR 1.3.8 and selecting "Install" on the GPS tab, how long does the solid yellow power light stay lit before it turns to blinking blue?image

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I think the first question is does your GPS antenna have a clear view of the southern sky? I think when I first powered up my 6500 w/GPSDO it took a few minutes for the amber light to turn flashing view. Since then it transitions pretty quickly. I am not sure about the 6500 but for Garmins and other GPS devices the initial lock on satellites is always the longest. Once the device knows where it last was it is way easier for it to lock on subsequent power ons.

Walt - kz1f
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Walt - the GPS antenna is glued to the window which faces south.  The radio setup page when viewing the GPS tab bounces between 0 sats visible and 12, the sat tracked is either on 99 or some number between 4-8.  When the sat tracked switces to 99, th lat/long go to zero - grid square is correct.  Its been about 30 minutes so far.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The GPS antenna needs to see the sky. The writing on the antenna is the bottom of the antenna. Gluing it to the window likely cut off 1/2 the sky. Try sticking it out the window and mounting it horizontally with the lettering on the bottom. BTW. Mine sees satellites OK indoors.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Also double check if you have it connected to the right SMA connector. NOT the 10MHz connector.
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Futzing with the antenna orientation helped - blue light is on and tacking 9 with 15 visible with status locked.  Thanks for the responses.  Happy New Year
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Howard, I have not used my GPSDO yet because I am waiting on installing outdoor antenna. I see you mentioned that you have your antenna indoors, does this work ok? I am definitely going to try this if so because for me to get outdoors with antenna is a real bear. Thanks, Joe WD5Y
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think one goal is to keep the run from the rig to the antenna as short as possible. Mine also is indoors plus there are trees to the south. It works fine and satellite synch occurs within 30 secs. There is likely less signal loss through glass than by adding meters to the cable length.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Larry you might want to mark this question answered so as to not cede your question to a bunch of folks needing a place to hole up.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I believe some windows have a metallic coating that can attenuate the GPS signal.  Not sure this is the case at hand albeit working.

Enjoy the new found stability!   :-)

Best Regards,

Tim / K3TIM
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Yes I use mine indoors. image It's just hanging on a post inside the shack

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.