Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500

Is it worth buying a Flex 6500 or should I wait for the 6600? Will the 6500 get discontinued?

Answers

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I think only the 6300 which was a different hardware platform I think the 6400 - 6700 have the same hardware. or at least the same components
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    Manufacturing of new 6300s and 6500s have been discontinued.  We are only selling new 6300s and 6500s that we have in stock and certified preowned radios.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If you can wait for it, it sounds like the 6600 will have better filters, and 2 SCU's for a lower price.  
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Up to you.

If I were in your position I'd wait for the 6600 which has dual SCUs. However it lacks front panel foster and 1/4" connectors. 
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I believe the 6500 is discontinued. There are some subtle differences between them such as the XLR mic on the 6500 and a few additional ports for receive on the 6600. The receiver e might be a bit better on the 6600 plus you have two Spectral Capture Units for true diversity receive and two separate antennas that you can't do on 6500

I love my 6500 but if was doing it now I'd get a 6600

Mike
    N9DFD
  • Richard Hubbard
    edited January 2019
    Thanks 
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I thought I heard the "boss" only say the 6300. my bad.
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As a recent new 6500 owner (March) I'd recommend you wait. The 6600 will get you simultaneous receive on two antennas. You'll also get the 2.0 software. The problem is you don't know how long you'll have to wait. Another option would be a certified used 6500 if Matt has any in stock ready to go. A bit cheaper and you can get it now. 
  • Richard Hubbard
    edited June 2017
    Thanks. The hard bit is the waiting I guess :)

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    I haven't checked stock lately, but we may be out of new 6300s.  I know we have 6500s
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wonder if you can make a deal on a CPO 6500 with 100% trade up when the new model arrives?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Ask Matt (sales@flexradio.com).  If it is outside of 30 days, I would not expect a 100% trade up.
  • Richard Hubbard
    edited June 2017
    Hi, I am UK based, I have noticed that M&LS, one of our local dealers, have reduced the price of the 6500 by around £650, probably due to the upcoming Flex product releases. I will have a think, might be able to get a bargain? is the 6500 technology still current and will it take new Flex updates?
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Buying a 6500 today will get you the 2.0 software.  All systems sold on or after May 18 get version 2.0.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    All 6000 series radios, in production or not, will "take" the future software updates.  These questions and others are answered in the New Products FAQ.

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/new_products_faq_v1-2-pdf/
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I just grasped the difference in the front panel connectors the other day.  Guess I had stars in my eyes at Dayton.  I think I'll make a little box full of wires, sockets, switches and plugs to plug into the back of the coming 6600 so I can connect existing headphones and mics and easily switch between them.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    6300's are popping up for sale, $1500 is the lowest price I have seen so far. If you have a hard time waiting **** one up for the time being,  its a great radio.
  • Richard Hubbard
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, good idea.
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Have a 6300 no complaints
  • Steve - K6SRS
    Steve - K6SRS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just bought a Flex refurbed 6500.  Awesome radio and a very good price, with all the latest software.  Perhaps the 6600 advantages are worth waiting for, but not for me.  All the performance I need is in my shack, and instant gratification!!!

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I just purchased a used 6500 and I love it (I had one previously that I sold (my bad).

The 6600 doubtless has some improvements but it has IMO some serious liabilities.  

The connections for mic, phones, and key in the back of the radio seriously **** In my opinion.  The loss of the XLR connection is a liability.  I like having the ability to have two mics hooked up and ready to go - one headset and one hand mic.

These liabilities are deal breakers for me.  

Meanwhile and for the foreseeable future I will stay with the 6500 unless I get suddenly rich and buy a 6700 :)
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Been a happy owner of a 6700 for 5 months now. When wanting a back-up if, something happens, a used 6500 that came my way was an easy and natural choise. I don't doubt that 64 and 6600 are great radios. Have friends having 6600's and very happy with them. But I feel very safe with my two 6000 series radios, that has been around as models for a while :)
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yup, same here. My box will have a 3 lead 5V regulator in it to apply power to the amp in my Yaesu MD-100 microphone.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.