flex-6500 documentation ???

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am considering a 6500 but would like to look at the documentation. Can you make it available? Specifically, I'm guessing but it connects to a pc with firewire because you sell those. What types of connectors are available for me to hook up cw skimmer or Signal Link modem? AB1XT
Photo of Cal Page

Cal Page

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3692 Posts
  • 1548 Reply Likes
All documentation is found at

http://www.flexradio.com/support/down...

The 6000 series uses standard Ethernet not FireWire v
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
and... it does not use Firewire.   CW Skimmer is easy to set up using SmartSDR and SDRbridge. You can sell your SignaLink because with a Flex radio you don't need it. A Signalink is used to get audio in/out from computer to radio and the Signalink uses VOX to execute a PTT of the radio when needed. With a Flex you do all this with the Flex DAX system and by configuring your software (Flidigi, Mixw, Winwarbler, DM780,WSJT,  Multipsk, etc ) to interface with the Flex.
Andy K3UK
Photo of Ray Andrews, K9DUR

Ray Andrews, K9DUR, Elmer

• 246 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
As Howard said, the connection to the radio is via Ethernet, not firewire.

No connectors are needed for CW Skimmer or the SignaLink. Both CW Skimmer and your soundcard digital program connect directly through software.  SmartSDR (the radio software) includes a program called DAX which emulates a soundcard.  You will not need your SignaLink at all.

73, Ray, K9DUR
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3692 Posts
  • 1548 Reply Likes
Since everything digital is internal to. The computer you tend to get much better digital performance as signalink introduces analog to digital to analog conversion distortion that you do nort get with a pure digital system. Nor do you need external cables which can pick up or generate RFI
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.