Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 creating 30db pad on line going in rear

Got my 6500 today.....W2IHY cable from iPlus to 1/4 jack balanced in rear. Using it that way creates a 30db pad compared to going in the front. I have to take the line gain pretty much to 100. My friend thinks (and he has a 6500) that a resistor or something is bad in the rear. I don't know, not even sure I explained this right....lol. I traded my 6300 in for this, and my 6300 had no issue when running it. True, it was fed unbalanced in the front, but it ran smooth, and is why I decided to go ahead and jump to the 6500. Thanks in advance for any help / replies.  73

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Does the mic work okay on the front panel? Check the 20 db gain button in your Settings (Radio Setup, Phone). Does your microphone require a bias voltage?
  • Steve Parker
    Steve Parker Member
    edited May 2015
    Checked that, it's a dynamic mic.
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Check to see that you do not have the -20 dB pad checked on the Flex turn on screen in SmartSDR.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited May 2015
    First I would bypass all the outboard pieces including the Iplus and run from the mic directly to the rear input of the radio...Turn on the 20db under phone tab in the startup and go from there.... Take everything out of the equation that you can...
  • James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'll add a couple things here. During our initial troubleshooting of Steve's issue, when he first put the 6500 in line, it worked normally, normal levels for about 5 minutes. Then, all of a sudden it was like someone engaged a 20 to 30db pad in his audio chain. Again, nothing changed, it just abruptly dropped. We then tried a hard reset of the 6500 and that did not help. We then used a different cable from the front mic input, without touching anything else and still running through the rack and into the same iPlus port and levels are all normal and stable. This eliminates anything in the rack and iPlus as he used the same port there. In my opinion, that leaves two things, the cable or the 1/4" bal input in the back of the flex. I lean more to something going on with the input of the 6500 because I've never seen a bad cable have these symptoms, it's normally you have audio or don't with a bad cable.

I think it's important to realize this worked fine for about 5 minutes and then the audio level dropped 20 to 30db without any change what so ever. We, for testing, did engage the the 20db setting under phone and that brought the audio up, but he had to run the mic level and rack level at abnormally high settings.

Steve, one thing we didn't do in our troubleshooting is unplug the cable at the 1/4" input and then firmly reinsert.

James, W8GN
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This has probably already been checked, but it has happened to me several times with very similar behavior. Be certain that the correct input type stays selected, ie. Balanced, or Line. Switching profiles and mic profiles sometimes changes the input type, The rear jack can do both, and will have mic audio in either case. But the levels are very different. The +20dB preamp will be available with both and helps to confuse things too. It's not totally obvious when it switches. The input types are stored in the profiles, if you created profiles and didn't resave them with the correct input selected then they will switch without warning sometimes even when just changing from one band to another, or changing modes. It all depends on whatever you last saved it as and then, persistence that gets saved when you restart SmartSDR also complicates things too.

Jay - NO5J    
  • Steve Parker
    Steve Parker Member
    edited May 2015
    Yeah,  we checked and double checked line, mic, everything. I just don't know. My 6300 played fine without a hitch. 
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have had my 1/4 inch balanced jack in the back act like it was dirty and needed to be unplugged and plugged back in a couple times, I switched to an XLR type plug/cable. I will say that my mic gain on my 6500/PR-781  going in the rear balanced jack is set at over 90% with the 20 db turned on in setup.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Larry

I'm also using the 6500/PR781 combination, with the +20dB preamp on, and mic level set so that the mic never peaks into the red, above 90% but never full scale. I think that's just what's required, but I'm curious if anyone else that also using the 6500/PR781 combination is getting good audio reports without the preamp and a +90% mic level. My other balanced dynamic mics need similar settings. Maybe, it's just that +90%, is the +90% right setting. image

Jay - NO5J
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

I use the balanced input on the 6500, mic gain at 55 with +20 db preamp,processor on the DX level,  mic never peaks above the yellow level.  Good audio reports.  I do find the mic level has to be a bit higher with the balanced input vs the front 8 pin mic jack.

Jim K4JAF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.