FLEX-6500 breaks into strange mode running WSPR mode @ 1w

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
My 6500 jumps into a mode not documented in technical pubs. Running WSPR-X, at approx 1 watt into a series of antennas on most HF ham bands. Yes, an overkill. Frequency of condition can be hours to days between events. I am tipped off of the condition by receiving multi decode reports and the spectrum display shows a broadening of the side-bands to the tune of approx 24 khz (extending from the carrier up (USB) to center of 200 hz WSPR band and extending another 16 khz higher). See picture. It can happen on any band anytime. I operate WSPR 24/7. I have 
made a series of prompt  'on the spot' tests, not designed, and I have concluded the FLEX-6500 is acting up. What do you think?

Vern W9HLY
Photo of Vern

Vern

• 64 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • concerned

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of K6HN

K6HN

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have also had this happen using WSJT-X. If I remember correctly, restarting the DAX fixed the immediate problem. It does re-occur as you noted at various random times.

Gary
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9202 Posts
  • 3562 Reply Likes
I suspect Gary is on the right track.  Just stop and restart the DAX application. If that does not resolve the issue, let us know.
Photo of Brian VK3MI

Brian VK3MI

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm experiencing a similar problem running WSPR with WSJT-X v1.9.1 and a Flex-6300 using SSDR 2.2.8.109. The generation of the excessive side-band emissions typically occurs after a few days of running WSPR and is resolved by restarting SSDR and WSJT-X. But this is not convenient if the problem occurs while I'm away from the QTH. Any further thoughts on how to resolve the problem?
Photo of Brian VK3MI

Brian VK3MI

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Here is my screen shot of the excessive side-bands emissions which are generated when the rogue operation occurs, and while WSJT-X is transmitting WSPR or in Tune mode.This looks similar to the screen shot from Vern W9HLY above. Restarting DAX fixes the problem. Restarting WSJT-X does not help.