Flex 6500 and 6700 on the same network? Trying to get it to work.

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Just about to set up my second Flex. First radio is a 6700 and now adding a 6500.

Been scanning the community, finding a lot of info, but still a bit confused. Seems like the trick to get it working is implementing a filter.txt file with each radios serial no in some %APPDATA%\FlexRadio Systems folder. That should separate the two installs, if I get it right? Just can't find that folder or any .txt file that seems to be right?  I guess I need to add one on each PC? But first I have to find that folder!

Anyone done this that could assist me? Just to give some background info on my set-up and thoughts:

Plan is to use two PC, one for each radio. Having a Cat 6 switched network, 10/100/1000 Mbps with router/firewall. Having network set to DHCP, thinking of setting fixed IP for the radios. Any advantage or is it neccessary with fixed IP when running two radios?

I have already SSDR with CAT and DAX installed on both PC's. With only the 6700 attached on the network I can switch  betwen PC's and run the 6700 from whichever PC i want.

PC's are both running W10Pro and fully updated. SSDR 2.2.8 on both PC's as well.

Just come to think about my Maestro as well. Today only one, might buy a second one later. What about the Maestro then, will it connect to any of the radios, the one I chose or?
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Rudy HB9MHB

Rudy HB9MHB

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Rudy, been reading Tim's instructions. Just can't find this %appdata%\FlexRadio Systems directory. I know a bit about Windows and about showing hidden files etc. But still when searching .. can't find this directory. Was wondering if W10 Pro had a different structure or if something been changed in SSDR? while most of the threads about this seems to be a bit old.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 670 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Johan, in the C:\ folder there is a folder called USER. clicking on that selection will bring up a folder with your name as a folder selection. Click on that and a folder named Appdata will show up, click on that and you will see the Flex radio system folder. put the FILTER file in that folder.
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Just because i wrote that .. I just found it. Then next question will be, place it in the native directory of SSDR or the current version SSDR directorie?  This is what it look's like in explorer.

I guess FlexVSP and 2.1.33 is out of the Q. Then Native FlexRadio Systems main folder or SmartSDR or 2.2.8 would be where it should be placed.
(Edited)
Photo of Rudy HB9MHB

Rudy HB9MHB

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Johan,  the path is normaly C: User/ your name/AppData/Roaming/Flex Radio Systems

I think AppData is a hidden Folder, so you have to set to see hidden folders first,
or go to File Explorer C: (with OS) and search "flexradio", then you will see aswell.

Sorry, I hope you can understand, my Windows is in German..

73 Rudy
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
No problem Rudy, my German is rusty today, but still not to bad .. Hi  Used to work in Germany and for German Company BASF some years ago, but today I need a couple of weeks in Germany to get my language back :)

I found the directory as I wrote above. Just have to figure out in which folder to place the text file? Worst case I have to try all possibilities. Bit had a small hope Tim would wake up "over there" and have an answer. Have to work now, so plenty of time, will continue with this project tonight.

Have a nice day Rudy and many Tnx for your info and help.
(Edited)
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 399 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
The file filter.txt may not exist, just create a txt file called filter.txt with your radio serial number in it and place it in this folder.

C:\Users\homeconnect\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems
(Edited)
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Great Larry,

that's the SmartSDR folder. Almost guessed that was kind of a "master folder".

No need to guess anymore. Mny Tnx :)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 712 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Note that with the release of SmartSDR v2, both SmartSDR for Windows and SmartSDR CAT has radio selection windows.  This eliminates the need of the filter file for those applications.  DAX would be the only one that might still benefit from the filter file to direct it to which radio to connect.
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Tnx Eric

didn't think about that. Realized when setting up my two radios that they came up as alternatives. Are there any negatives by keeping the filter files? If it is just DAX that it affects, could it be a smart move to keep them, just  to separate audio settings betwen the two PC's? Ie if I f.ex. should decide to use one radio/PC dedicated for digitalmodes with loads of DAX settings different to those on the radio used for SSB.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 712 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Using the filter file is fine.  It just means you won't see radios that aren't in your filter file list.
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 86 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Tnx Eric, can live with that. Probably I will dedicate my 6700 to SO2R contesting and 6500 to casual radio and digital modes.
Seem's like an easy solution and with minimal interference with settings etc. betwen contesting and other casual activities. Hate preparing for contest and finding a lot of settings changed and starting of solving problems. I know it's different with Flex and it's capability to handle profiles etc. But my previous "life" with Microham eq. have made me a bit scared of using the contest radio/setup to anything else than contest  ;)