Flex-6500 2m Transverter and D-Star

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a Flex-6500 and have just purchased a ThumbDV to allow me to use D-Star.  I only have a little Icom handheld for 2m/70cm so have decided to buy a 2m transverter as well.

Once I get the transverter working, will I be able to use D-Star on 2m on my 6500?  I do not see any reason why not but I would just like to check!

As a supplementary question, I wood appreciate recommendations for a 2m transverter which is known to work well with the 6500 AND is freely available in the UK or at least in the EU.  

The Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs in the UK charge a lot of import duty (even on the shipping costs) and then 20% sales tax (VAT) on items coming from outside the EU so I do need one I can buy over here.  

Right now I am leaning towards the Elecraft XV144 but it is expensive (GBP500!).

David G4NRT
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 241 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1031 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes
Official Response
You will be able to use the radio for D-STAR on 2m with a transverter.  Heck, you could make D-STAR contacts on 3.4GHz with a 3GHz transverter if you can find someone else with the same setup ;-)  The three common transverters I see are DEMI (Downeast Microwave), Kuhne and Elecraft.  Kuhne is in Germany -- not sure if this offers a price advantage or not.  All should work fine.