Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400M and Ametritron ALS-600

Serge Baye
Serge Baye Member ✭✭
I have a Flexradio 6400M. I have an Ameritron ALS-600 solid state amplifier.
In order to have them working together can I connect :

1. the Flex ALC RCA to the amplifier ALC RCA 
2. the Flex TX1 RCA to the amplifier RELAY RCA ?

I understand the Flex TX1 RCA will trigger the amplifier. Could anyone confirm I am not wrong ?
I also understand I would have to be careful and not overdrive the system. I guess 40 to 50 watts output power would be enough to activate the amplifier (as I did with my Yaesu FT DX 3000).

best 73's de Serge ON9COP 

Answers

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Serge I have the same setup. Just use the RCA for PT and ignore the ALC. The most I hit the  amp at is about 55 watts. VE3DZP
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Serge, I have same setup as VE3DZP and I agree.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good Morning Serge, 
    you really don't need the AGC connected and most everyone I know have stopped using it many years ago because the FLEX radio's don't have Power overshoot like older radio's when AGC was required. 

The RELAY RCA Jack is the correct one to use for PTT. 

In your "settings",  "Radio setup" Menu look for RCA TX1 and add 30ms in the Timing text box and click Enable  these are pretty close to the PTT settings you need to have. 

Following the tuning instruction in the AMP manual and work the "Tune Power" slider level up and see when your current on the AMP is no higher then the Manual says for that AMP using the TUNE on the radio (this will be the MAX you want to drive the AMP with)
     Set the "RF Power" slider to the same place as the "Tune Power" slider on SmartSDR. 

You will have to redo this when changing bands.

I use DDUTIL's "Auto Drive"  to set these up to automatically set the power levels to drive the AMP on the different bands so I can quickly change bands.

Hope this helps 73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You can also use profiles to set the power level, as SmartSDR profiles remember power output per band. On my KPA1500, I have Transmit profiles for 1500 W, 700 W and "Barefoot", which disables TX1 and sets power to 100. I also recommend that you NOT use ALC. It generally results in overly broad signals.

• Serge Baye
    Serge Baye Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dear friends, thank you all for the pertinent suggestions.
    I proceeded as per your instructions and it works like a charm. I though I would have to purchase an ARI-500 interface but it seems DDUTIL's and a set of SmartSDR profiles will do the job. This community is a real helpdesk not to mention the replies are comprehensive and speedy. Thank you again Gary, Roy, Bret and Craig.

best 73's de Serge ON9COP in Belgium
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi again Serge,
    The newer AMP's have +12V relays that are low enough current ratings that you don't really need the ARI-500, some would disagree but the current to key the ARI-500 is probely pretty close to what the ALS600 uses.
    The OLDER tube AMP's (Collins, Drake, Heathkit, (basically old TUBE Amps) have about -170DC on the keying relay and these old amps do have to have the ARI-500 to keep the Negitive, High voltages and  >15ma @ 12V coil current out of the radio.

glad it is working for you
    Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.