FLEX-6400(M) & FLEX-6600(M) Update Email

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
First of all, thanks for the update Gerald. Greatly appreciated.

Looks like September is going to be a busy month for Flex !
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 238 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Agreed. Thanks for the update, Gerald.I was just hoping my 6400 delivery before Christmas. Looks like that is promising.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1288 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes

If there was a mass email, I may have been missed or the email caught in a filter.  None found though.

??

Steve  K9ZW

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1288 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes
Tim, could someone check my reservation status as well, as I was also missed.

Thanks and 73,

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
If you did not receive the Constant Contact (CC) notice, you have a FLEX-6400 or FLEX-6600 radio reserved and you have not opted out of previous CC notices from FLexRadio, check your spam/junk folder first.  If it is not there, then contact Sales (sales@flexradio.com) to ensure your correct e-mail is associated with your order and you are on the CC mailing list.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1288 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes

@FRS - any idea how some of us got left off the communication(s) distribution? 

Reconfirmed my order with sales, so that wasn't in limbo.

Probably the most important part is that I get called when it time to pay up in full!

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 350 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes

Tim,

I did not receive the email either!  I'm concerned Flex has overlooked me as well!  I took advantage of the Trade-Up Program and shipped my Flex 6500 back to Flex on June 8th and an order was placed for a Flex 6600.  Flex should have issued a credit for my 6500 and that credit was supposed to cover my 6600 order.  I need to ensure everything is in order.  

Cal /N3CAL  

Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 535 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Cal, for peace of mind I would give Matt in sales a call tomorrow and confirm all is in order.
I received confirmation that my 6300 trade had been credited a couple of days ago but the process took a few weeks in total because of the service backlog.  The most difficult thing I find in the process is distinguishing the emails directed to me from Flex concerning the trade and some of emails regurgitated from the community forum with the same headers.  I will survive but I'd bet working for FRS right now would be enough to drive one to drink, ha!  These guys have got to have a little pressure on them right now so I'd bet they won't mind if you confirm where they are at with your transactions in a phone call.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
FlexRadio Systems

Dear valued customer,

The excitement is building here at FlexRadio as production preparation for the new FLEX-6400/6400M and FLEX-6600/6600M models are well under way! I want to take a moment to provide you an update on our progress.

Since the announcement of these radios we have made a few changes in hardware and software that we are pleased to share with you. Based on customer feedback we added a dedicated 1⁄4 inch TRS balanced microphone input to the back panel of the FLEX-6600/6600M. We also incorporated a blue backlight for the FlexRadio front panel logo on the 6400/6600 base models. In July we released SmartSDRTM version 2.0 of which includes the exciting new SmartLinkTM Remote feature allowing you to access your radio from anywhere you have a broadband connection (included with all new radios). We believe all of these things will add to the overall experience of the radio.

The last components for the FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600M models are currently scheduled to arrive in the factory during the second half of September.  Also, the final plastic front panel components for the FLEX-6400 and FLEX-6600 models are expected in late October. This currently places production start up approximately one month behind where we originally estimated.  SmartSDR integration is nearing completion and the new models will enter beta testing soon.

Across all electronic industry segments, lead times on components are stretching; in some cases to between 24 and 52 weeks. This is due to increasing economic growth in the US along with the beginnings of a worldwide economic recovery.  This fact is providing a more challenging supply chain situation that we, along with everyone else in the electronics industry, will have to manage very carefully.  Unfortunately, when demand exceeds supply, speculators step in to buy up inventory and resell it at a high profit exacerbating the problem until the supply/demand balance returns.  Fortunately, we placed component orders early this year so we believe we have solidified sufficient supply through the end of 2017, assuming the vendors meet their promise dates. We are working with our suppliers to forecast and bond production requirements beyond 6 months to hopefully mitigate this situation.  Our suppliers expect this condition to continue for at least a year.

Regarding delivery estimates, we are going to use a different method for communication. We always try to provide our best estimate for delivery but in reality, it is more about the probability of delivery than a given date. Here is our best estimate for first customer ship date based on the supply chain information we have at this moment:

FLEX-6400M/6600M: September: 25%

FLEX-6400/6600: October 25%

FLEX-6400M/6600M: October: 90%

FLEX-6400/6400M/6600/6600M: November: 99%

From initial customer shipment, we will ramp production to have a daily flow of product over a period of weeks. Given the sheer size of the backlog we expect that it will take us through the end of the year to fulfill all open orders. As we approach your place in the backlog queue, we will reach out to you with an opportunity to adjust your order and finalize payment.

Thank you so much for supporting FlexRadio with your pre-order. We are as eager as you are to get your new state of the art radio into your hands!

Gerald K5SDR
(Edited)
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
The email above (I didn't receive it, either) does not mention the addition of a hand mic.  That will still be included?
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 199 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes

“Based on continued constructive user feedback, we are officially announcing that all of the FLEX-6600 and the FLEX-6400 Signature Series SDRs, including the "M" models, will ship with a FlexRadio FHM-2 condenser hand mic. The mic will connect to the back of the radio, using the 1/8' mic connector for audio and the RCA PTT connector for keying the radio.  The mic cable will be long enough to allow for convenient operation with the radio on a desktop.  We will be updating the New Product FAQ shortly to reflect this change. Thank you for your continued positive feedback.”

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/fmh-2-microphone-now-included-with-the-flex-6000-m-...

Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Yes, all of the previously-announced upgrades other than the inclusion of a hand mic were included in the recent email.  I was inquiring as to whether this was an inadvertent or deliberate omission.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Yes, a hand mic will be included with the FLEX-6400(M) and FLEX-6600(M) radios (all 4 of them)
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 904 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
For any doubters about component shortages, read this article:https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news...
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
I am definitely not doubting it.

It has to be frustrating for manufacturers (including Flex) trying to anticipate what parts you are going to need when you don't have a final design 100% locked in. I would have to think manufacturers end up with parts they cant use because of this.

I am sure it compromises the design too. They have to make a choice of trying to satisfy hundreds of crying customers or wait 6 weeks on a part that might work slightly better.
Photo of Cedric HB9HFN

Cedric HB9HFN

• 23 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Any updates?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Working hard on getting it ready for release later this fall.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
My Telepost LP-500 arrives tomorrow.  My buddies on 160 have been betting which will arrive first. The LP-500 or the 6600m.  Looks like the Telepost wins :)
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 639 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
I've got an LP 500 . . . Awesome unit.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1042 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Hoping Flex is not delayed as much as Telepost was.  My original estimate of "as much as six months" turned out to be 2 weeks short of one year !
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Well looks like the new official release date is July August September October

7:30 mark in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDsC8P01qiY&list=TLGGZeFb387F2mEwMTEwMjAxNw
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 904 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
I was told "unoffically" today, "in the next six weeks or so". Looks like middle to end of November to me.
Oh well.......
James
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 341 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Your probably optimistic about end of November, I have estimated first of the year for several months.  Take Flex's first estimate of delivery and add 6-8 months to it.. 
Photo of James Skala

James Skala

• 90 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Getting Excited and ready for my 6400 to arrive this month.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 559 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
ME TOOOOO!!
(Edited)
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 904 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Well, just got an official update from FRS,,, looks like late October or early November for the M models.
Good thing my Social Security shows up about then!
James
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 904 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
True. But, different factories building the amps and radios.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 814 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
True..But, they are all being distributed from Austin.
Photo of Kevin - KS0CW

Kevin - KS0CW

• 89 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
was that a question or a statement... 
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 904 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Flex rep at Belton said today that the amps would not ship first. That there might be a slight wait for some needed parts to show up at the factory. But, the M model radios were on track for delivery like the newsletter stated. And the amps would/should, follow shortly.
Photo of Bill Garfield W1BG

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I was told the same thing at Belton (Oct 6), they expect to begin shipping the last week of Oct and throughout Nov for the 1st production run.  They didn't say what the order cutoff date was in order to be included in the first production run, but I'm fairly optimistic, as I ordered in June. They also said orders being written now would be in the 2nd production run & likely to ship in Feb, pretty much echoing what the email said.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
For those that did not get the email.

FlexRadio Systems

Dear Valued Customer,

October is going to be a landmark month for FlexRadio. We are gearing up manufacturing now to get the next generation, industry leading, FLEX-6600M and FLEX-6400M units out the door as well as the PowerGenius XL amplifiers. We expect the first units to come off the line around the end of the month. To top it all off, we are back in stock on Maestro

Full volume manufacturing ramp up of the new models will occur in the November timeframe with the first of the FLEX-6400 and FLEX-6600 models beginning shipments later in the month. We expect to begin deliveries to the European Union in December after the completion of CE certification.

Due to the overwhelming success of the new radios our backlog has grown well into the second production run. Therefore an order placed today will ship sometime in the January/February timeframe.

Thank you so much for your continued support and for sharing with us in this exciting time! You are the reason for our success. 

Gerald

K5SDR

Photo of Mark Whatley

Mark Whatley

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

I got on the list for a 6600 and the amp the day after I got back from Dayton. I have never received either of the update messages that are shown in this thread. At one point I emailed Flex and got verification that I was, indeed, on the list. I've gone back and checked all my deleted mail as well as the spam folder. Nothing.

My email address has remained the same during this time frame and I believe that I verified it when I contacted Flex a few months ago to make sure I was on the list.

I'm afraid I'll miss the notice that my stuff is ready!

Anyone else missing these announcements?

Mark K5XH

Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Nor have I.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1197 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Give sales a call Monday to make sure they have your correct contact info for product updates.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Matt took care of me and I'm good now. Thank you Matt.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 351 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Same issue here as you Mark. I also sent my 6500 in as a trade up. I’m concerned I will also be overlooked. Nothing in way of updates received.

Cal / N3CAL
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 138 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I finally got the two month ago e-mail on 10/2 after sending an e-mail asking for order confirmation and update based upon concerns posted by others in this thread. 

Now I see another post from Rich McCabe over Gerald's signature that is from two days ago.   I did not receive any e-mail containing this latest.   I wish I knew why.  I'd like to receive these updates. 

I do have a copy of my 10/2 e-mail to Flex (sales@flexradio.com) and assume based on that and their reputation that my order will be honored in the order received.   My account page does show the order properly.  FR did confirm my 6400 order the was placed  on 9/2. 

A larger concern is missing the Flex e-mail requesting the balance of payment and subsequently having it inadvertently canceled.   They have my cell number so I assume it will all work out.  I'm going with that concept.

I think they may be a bit overwhelmed by demand and anyway my expectation is for 1Q18 or so delivery.  So, patience. 
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4024 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
When I ordered my 6500 several years ago, Matt was busy on the phone calling the "pre-orders" to confirm their desire to complete their order and also to check that their credit card information was current.

My assumption is that they would not leave this large a purchase up to the flakey-ness of the current email system.  Stuff gets lost in my spamfile all the time -- even stuff from contacts that made it through just fine last week!

But just to make sure, you may want to investigate how to add them to your whitelist of approved email addresses.
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 138 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Ken, you are absolutely correct and I will do this right now.  Thanks - duh as I thunk my head with a bug.   Thud. 
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
I am surprised we never heard anything back from alpha testers. Last I heard was they were being shipped to them. No follow up on bugs to work out etc. Must have went OK as Gerald is talking about shipping in 3 weeks.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
They are not allowed to share detailed testing information publicly. 
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Yea I realize that but I know when version 2 was coming to completion we heard "very close" on several occasion from testers. Not a peep this time.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
They commented after permission was granted.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1049 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Makes sense. Just nice to know how things are going.  Gerald's email did not say much. Thanks for update Tim.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 78 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
If you did not receive the most recent update but were expecting to, please email us at sales@flexradio.com and we will take care of it.

Thank you!