Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400 keying an Alpha 76a

Options
Jerry Harley
Jerry Harley Member
edited September 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
can I key directly?  Alpha 76a says 26vdc  76ma.

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    This is a copy/paste directly from the 6x00 hardware manual:
    Δ – The TX Relay outputs are designed to handle signaling levels of up to +40 VDC @ 140 mA maximum. Some amplifiers do not have circuits to prevent keying voltage transients and older amplifiers may exceed the maximum voltage level resulting in damage to the radio if directly connected. Verify the voltage/current on your external device before connecting to TX Relay 1-3. FlexRadio highly recommends the use of a use a buffer/isolator box between the radio and the external device as a best operating practice regardless of the keying voltage.

So, yes, you can key it directly if after looking at the keying pulse directly with an oscilloscope you determine there are no keying spikes from a relay coil field collapsing. 

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I use an Ampkeyer from the Heathkit Shop to key my SB 220. Bryan make one now that will control 2 amps in case you have 2.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.