Flex 6400 For Sale

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
After careful consideration and comparing with my other rig, I have decided to offer up my 6400 for sale. It is the base version, no ATU or other options. Included are the standard accessory items: DC & network cables, hand mic, software CD, and factory shipping boxes. Everything is in like-new condition. Currently has 2.1.33 firmware loaded. I did have the random reboot issue on 2.1.32, but so far that problem has not occurred with the new firmware. Used only on CW & digital on my LAN. I have not taken the hand mic out of the box. 

I did register the radio on SmartLink using 2.1.32, but have not attempted remote ops. I will un-register the radio and reset everything to factory defaults prior to shipment.

My cost was $2,033. Asking $1,875 with insured ground shipping to CONUS locations included. PayPal or USPS MO accepted. Warranty transfer, if desired, will be the responsibility of the buyer.

Can provide some pictures & screenshots if desired.

If interested, please reply direct via my QRZ.com email address.
Photo of N4UW- Luther

N4UW- Luther

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 427 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Luther, just curious.  What is your other rig?
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 99 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I thought the registration stays with the radio. Tim?
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 196 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
he is un-registgering SmartLink (not any software)
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 99 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Understood. Thanks
Photo of N4UW- Luther

N4UW- Luther

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That's a fair question....

The other rig is an Elecraft K3S. My main interests are CW DX'ing & contesting, and I am self-limited to 100 watts or less and wire antennas only. For several years, I have used a K3/K3S, LP-Pan, NaP3, CW Skimmer, etc. to get a high-resolution panadapter and skimmer display for working pileups and contests. Even lacking an amp or beam, I am usually able to work most rare DX that I can hear by making good use of the skimmer. The larger panadapter  display allows me to spot pileups before they get out of hand.

The 6400 does all that and more, of course, and allows the use of 2 panadapters and skimmers.

I purchased the 6400 with the idea that I would end up selling either it or the K3S, as I cannot justify keeping both.

It really boils down to subtle differences in operating preferences and techniques. I recently did some A-B switching on both rigs using the same antenna, while listening to XR0YD work an EU pileup on 17 meters. Any weak signal I could hear on one, I could hear on the other, so no significant difference there.  NR & NB on the Flex sound better to me than the K3S. However, there are some things that are still easier for me to do on the K3S, such as setting up quickly for split TX on the same band. (no A=B VFO button in SmartSDR, for example)  I do have a Flex Control, but found that I do not make much use of it so far. A lot of this is probably due to the fact that I have been used to the K3 for so long.

The QSK on the K3S sounds better/smoother to me, and there are restrictions on how CW sidetone audio is routed on the Flex, especially when using an outboard keyer.

The biggest advantage of the Flex for me is the ability to monitor & skim 2 bands at once. Right now I'm watching the CW segments of 20 & 17. I will miss that feature if I sell the Flex.

I also figured it would be easier to sell the Flex now,  given the current supply/demand situation.

Luther
Photo of N4UW- Luther

N4UW- Luther

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
To N9VC:

Unless I'm mistaken, the warranty and major software version registrations stay with the radio, while user accounts for a particular radio in SmartLink can be created and deleted as needed. That was what I was referring to about un-registering the radio in SmartLink. If that is incorrect, maybe one of the experts will chime in.
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 96 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Understood. Thanks.
Photo of N4UW- Luther

N4UW- Luther

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Oops- I should have said the warranty stays with the original purchaser. Sorry for any confusion!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2084 Posts
  • 496 Reply Likes
You really have not spent much time on your flex, and push it hard. Your right there is no VFO button on the Flex for A-B split,,it is a mouse click. What can be faster then simply opening up a second slice and there you have it spit?
Flex has been developing the Radio line for top of the line DX performance. There really is nothing that can compare to the ease and performance.

But yes if you want to sell the Flex so soon, then now is the time to.
(Edited)
Photo of N4UW- Luther

N4UW- Luther

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, Bill, you are correct, it is very simple to do split if I have only one panadapter and slice open at a time. If I have two panadapters & slices open on different bands, then it is a little more complicated. Running with only one slice open most of the time negates the major advantage of being able to monitor another band. I guess I could run it with two panadapters  open with only one slice open, but that causes problems with the skimmer display that does not have a slice associated with it.  It's always a series of trade-offs when it comes to things like this. I fully understand why SmartSDR does not have the traditional A/B, A=B, Split setup due to having to manage up to 8 panadapters and slices. I think the M models or the Maestro do have a more traditional VFO management system, but that is another $1K above the base 6400.
Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 76 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Not trying to talk you out of it... but you could easily switch operating methods by saving profiles. Get everything exactly the way you want, save a global profile, then set up the next configuration, etc.

Once you get the hang of this it is like having a whole bunch of completely different radios a click away. I do this to switch between setups for sats, digital, SSB, all just the way I like it with only a single click. You could do the same for switching between favorite splits.

Took me a while to get used to this, so thought I’d pass it on. Plus you can export and save the setting, so if you ever need to do a reset you won’t lose them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Justin
KL2D
Photo of Keith Hamilton

Keith Hamilton

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would try a 6400M model before I give up on Flex. I like my Flex more than my K3s but still going to give it a few months before I decide which to keep. Strongly in favor of keeping my 6400M. It does split much like you want.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 951 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Why not return it?  Is it over the 30 days?  I may have missed where you said that.