Flex 6400 “Excess power detected on receiver” error message

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Solved

I have encountered an unusual situation with my new Flex 6400 received last week.  Please bear with me, my explanation is a bit complicated.  

My wife is now using my old 6300 and we both work mainly cw.  Our stations are in separate rooms, about 40 feet apart.  She uses a 20 meter dipole/40 meter inverted vee combo with a single feedline at 30 feet and works only those bands.   Untuned SWR is below 2 to 1 on both bands.  

My antennas include an 80 meter dipole/40 meter inverted vee fed at 50 feet; a 160 meter inverted L, 60 feet vertical and 100 feet out; and, a Classic 33 tribander at 45 feet.  Untuned SWR is below 2 to 1 on all bands.  We have operated this antenna configuration for over 2 years with her running 100 watts on a Kenwood TS-440SAT and me running the 6300. 

We frequently work cw at the same time for a weekly CW event.  Prior to receiving the 6400 I had never encountered an error message regarding “Excess power detected on receiver” using the 6300 during our operating.  I typically start on 80 meters and she starts on 40 meters.  During our first session with the new Flex stations configuration, operating on 80 meters, I immediately started receiving the Excess Power Detected message on my 6400 computer with her every dot and dash sent on 40 meters.   I could not continue operating until the last error message was cleared and she stopped sending.  

My investigating has revealed the following:  With her 6300 on 40 meters cw, a single 30 wpm ‘dit’ results in my  6400  producing the error message,  with a new error message for every dot or dash sent,  but only when I am connected to my 80 meter dipole/40 meter inverted vee combo.  I found I get the message regardless of the band I select from 160 meters to 6 meters when she is transmitting on 40 and I have the 80/40 antenna selected.  I have no problem whatsoever on any band when she is on 20 meters. 

If I switch to my 160 or tribander antenna, with her on 40, I have no problem whatsoever on any band.  I tried reversing our antennas, put her on the 80/40 combo and me on her 40/20 combo to see if my sending on 40 would affect her 6300 receiver.  It does not.   My 80/40 combo is approximately 100 feet from her 40/20 combo and within 20 degrees of parallel. 

I tried a different computer running SSDR on our lan, and a wireless notebook on the lan, with the same results.  However, when I tried my Maestro I had no problem with interruption.

I am at a loss to explain this phenomenon.   It seems that there is some circuitry in the 6400 that is extra sensitive to a 7 mHz  signal  when running SSDR 2.1.33 when I am receiving on any band while using my 80/40 antenna.   I also tried SSDR 2.1.32 with the same results. 

Other than this issue, I am very pleased with the 6400.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks. 

73,

Wayne, N4FP
Photo of N4FP

N4FP

  • 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 weeks ago

  • 1
Photo of N4FP

N4FP

  • 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Official Response
I removed the 40 meter inverted vee and raised the 80 meter dipole.  With xyl running 100 watts on 40, and without the bandbass filter selected on 80, I occasionally got an error message.  With the bandpass filter on, I get no error messages on 80.  Next, I switched to 40 and tuned the 80 meter dipole with the ATU to make the 6400 happy.  I get no error messages either with or without 40 meter bandpass filter active.  So, looks like the 40 meter inverted vee was a major contributor to the problem.  I am going to need at least an 80 meter bandpass filter, and I can live with that.  I will put up a 40 meter dipole or inverted vee, whichever works out the best, sometime this weekend.  We live on an acre with lots of trees so there are options.  It remains to be seen what happens when I get the 40 meter antenna up and we attempt to both work 40.  I am hopeful.  Thanks for all the suggestions.