Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400 Dead

Mike-N1VE
Mike-N1VE Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Maestro
While operating the power output dropped from 100 W to about 30 W, then the Maestro lost communications with the radio.  The radio had a steady dull red power switch button.  The switch was unresponsive so I unplugged the power to the radio and the light went out.  I waited several seconds, plugged the power back into the radio, pushed the power button, and nothing happened.  Fuse?

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I would get out your Volt Meter and check the DC power coming into the radio, simple first test.. Lots of strange reports here about the DC power feeding the radio... Good Luck!!!
  • Mike-N1VE
    Mike-N1VE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I checked the power before submitting the question.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    From the manual...

• SOLID DIM RED: Transmit engaged, but transmit interlocks are not ready. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for description of the transmit interlocks.

• Steve Blankinship AG4SO
    Steve Blankinship AG4SO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have a power supply floating a 12V sealed led acid battery with a Power gate. My battery had a short and would not produce more than 9.3V. had the same symptoms you describe however since you have checked the power I assume you mean voltage. If you have not yet I would also look at current output from the power supply perhaps to another radio or load while checking current with your meter. if good then perhaps  a failure of the power circuit such as a regulator, capacitor or such. I have not looked at a schematic of the radio that said if an internal fuse had gone I would expect the the radio would be dead or no TX depending on where the fuse is located. Just my 2 cents good luck.
  • Mike-N1VE
    Mike-N1VE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The power supply operated another HF rig and 100 watt.  I don't want to open the case to check for a fuse, unless told to do so by one of the Flex people.
  • Mike-N1VE
    Mike-N1VE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I read the information on the transmit interlocks on a manual.  But didn't find anything about the interlocks.  Since it doesn't turn on, I suspect a hardware issue.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Per the hardware manual.  Pretty sure you can do this own your own without permission from Flex.  They have everything sealed inside of the radio that they dont want you to touch.  You will need a #8 Torx driver to remove the covers.  I found one at Lowes.

7.1.1 Fused Internally at 30 Amps

The power input has a protective 30 Amp automotive "blade type" fuse inside the radio case. In the event you ever need to replace the internal fuse, remove the top cover and locate the fuse in the rear corner of the PA board just inside the case adjacent to the Anderson Powerpole connector.

! – NEVER USE A FUSE WITH A CURRENT RATING HIGHER THAN 30 AMPS! FAILURE TO PROPERLY USE THIS SAFETY DEVICE COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO YOUR RADIO, POWER SUPPLY, OR CREATE A FIRE RISK.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    But, if it is the fuse, why did it ****? something would have to cause it.
    In this case of a dead radio, I would have contacted Flex right away so they can help me with it.
  • Mike-N1VE
    Mike-N1VE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I appreciate the above comments.  By posting on this forum, I expected a rep. from Flex to jump in to help.  I just submitted a request for help.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mike, this community forum is largely a self-help first-stop tool. If anyone needs a FRS response you are always better off to open a help ticket, or call them directly. 73 Steve K9ZW http://K9ZW.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.