Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 withdrawal symptoms ...

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
Well,  I sent my 6300 in for repair yesterday for the dreaded "fan issue".  I could have sent it a week ago but wanted to give hurricane Harvey flooding a chance to recede.

I hooked up my backup rig though.  A Peaberry V2 80-60-40mtr 2w SDR rig using HDSDR software.  While it is a nice fun transceiver and I can get a whole 30w out by running it into my SB-200 amplifier, it really makes me appreciate my 6300 and SmartSDR even more.

So, I will drown my sorrow in pints of premium **** raisin ice cream while awaiting the return of my revived 6300.  Any other medicinal suggestions would be appreciated :-)

---Gary WB8ROL

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

I find a 6-pack and a dozen Taco Bell tacos a nice calming agent for about two hours.

Jim, K6QE

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You like **** raisin too? I love it. In fact I make it. With real Trinidad **** even...
  • Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Make the 6300 your spare radio after you get your new 6400!
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Pick one of these to go with the Ice Cream and tune in some shortwave broadcasters from the Caribbean!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhPN4xoAclyGrvUYm5yf9K-ws30Rw5hZ3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwruPNBRCKA...
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ham medicine -- Old Turkey
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Tell me about it!

It's been almost TWO WEEKS since I sent my 6700 back to Austin, TX for a fan/heat sink swap! I'm expecting it back this Friday (kudos to FRS' quick turn around and great customer satisfaction).

I got a RadioSport adapter for my backup IC-7100, and use the same Heil PTT trigger that I use with my 6700...

I just close my eyes and imagine that it's all connected to my dear olde 6700!
    (It's less fattening <grin>.)

Vy 73,
    Roy AC2GS
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I sent mine in about a month ago and they had it in and out in just a couple days, the shipping took longer than their turnaround. I was lucky I had a second one and drove the 135 miles each way to go to the cabin and get that one and bring it home.

When the 6400's come out just keep your 6300 for a spare. I am thinking of doing that. I have one of the 6400's ordered and they gave me a idea of the trade in value and for that amount I may just keep it for a spare.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited September 2017
    That sounds marvelous!  My all time favorite ice cream was actually Honey Carob but can't find it any place close.  **** raising I can find locally in the store - But the **** raisin with Trinidad **** sounds like it is several steps better for sure!  Ahhh!  The joys of ice cream!
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Would the **** be Vat19 - that was the main brand when I was there in 1964 - you could use to light a fire.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have a 6500
    That is why I kept my Flex 3000..you just never know....
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Gary, I feel so sorry for you that I'm willing to offer that you can remote in (using 2.x) to my lousy little 6500 with it's weak antennas and at least get a fix.

Let me know!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I use either Vat 19 or Old Oak. To light fires you want Forres Park Puncheon which is probably not legal in the USA (75% alc./vol). This is definitely not Bacardi. The bottles are useful when done to put peanuts in. :) 

As for the ice cream, yes it's a recipe my aunt taught me and we use an ice cream pail. We used to hand crank but there are electric ones from what I understand. It is pretty smooth and creamy. Any kind of party would always involve home made ice cream!

The ones in the store here really aren't the same. They take out all of the alcohol and just use flavoring. Doesn't taste the same. But I do still have a few Haagen Dazs in the freezer. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    Not admitting I actually "know" any of these people, but I used to live in the mountains of NC and I "hear" that getting homemade "brandy" is easy.  The next county over from me where I live now is renowned for its high-quality moonshine, but I don't "know" anything about that either ;-) 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    We call that bush **** in Trinidad because you make that in a barrel in the woods, far away from your house and the police. Reason being it smells for miles!
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited October 2017
    I forgot to thank you for the offer Mark but my internet connection probably would not work well for remote operation with my XYL streaming  hi def videos all day long hihi  Maybe if we ever get gigabyte internet ... :-)
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited October 2017
    Well, I can't afford a spare rig that cost as much as the - 6300 BUT I kinda took your advice.  I called up Flex and (since the 6300 was already there) did a trade up on a new 6400.  Only bad thing was I missed  out on the 1st run (due to ship perhaps in November) and instead will get my new 6400 in January 2018 (hopefully).
    Until then my backup rig will be my $200 Peaberry V2 QRP rig which is 1-2 watts only on 80-60-40mtrs but can drive my SB200 to 25-30 watts.  It uses HDSDR software and seems to like DAX real well.  I could borrow an analog rig with more power but after using SDR for 8 years now - it would just ruin my day and give me heartburn hihi

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.