Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 will not boot all the way

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
My Flex 6300 is using the latest SmartSDR 1.x release : v1.10.16.174

It has, up to this point, has never had a serious problem.

However, now it will currently NOT boot all the way.  I click the power button and it starts blinking (green, I assume since I am color impaired - same color it has always shown normally).  It blinks just as long as it usually does (when it was working) but at the end of the cycle it just shuts down.

I tried the factory reset option.  Disconnected power for over a  minute, then hooked up power supply directly (with nothing else hooked into power supply).   I held the power button on until the blinking light turned to white and released the button.  At the end of the cycle of white blinking it turned off.  I clicked on the button again and let it run normally and at the end of the blinking (green) it turned off again.

I tried the above several times and no luck - it just shuts down at the end of the boot cycle.

The power supply can run everything else I have - it is usually connected into a power pole distribution block but for the above tests I had it directly plugged into the power supply.  I also got out my trusty but rusty Tektronix digital VOM and it shows the power supply is putting out 13.8 volts. 

Incidentally, I had just used the rig an hour earlier and had a QSO on 20mtr SSB.  This is the first time I have a problem that was not fixable by a reboot or a factory reset.

If anybody has any other ideas on what I can try, I would like to hear them.  I really really don't want to have to send it in for repairs unless I absolutely have to.

---Gary WB8ROL

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Gary

I would open a helpdesk ticket for this.  

Mike

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Is the case fan running when the start button is pressed?
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Fan problem.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Sure sounds like the fan problem I just had. 
    I had to open a Help Desk ticket and then had to send it in. 

Good Luck!

• Lee - N5LN
    Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I had a very similar problem.  After fooling around with the help desk for over a month, I finally sent it in.  There was a defective 'timing' circuit of some time.  I lost a lot of operating time screwing around with it.  

• Gary L. Robinson
    edited August 2017
    I had a honey-do job and just got back to the computer.  I will check and see if the fan is running when I power up ... I wonder if that can be ascertained without taking off the case?  I will investigate.  Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited February 2018
    I did a quick check and silenced all the other noise in the room (floor fan + other radios) and turned it on and I could hear what sounded like the fan come on.  I could not see into it and know for sure but I don't think there is any other thing that would sound like that.  It was not on high speed, of course, but I seldom hear it unless I run the rig hard.  Though I can't do that now hihi

I wonder if going back to a different version of SmartSDR (and diff firmware) would be worth a try?

--Gary WB8ROL
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    There are three fans in the 6300. Two inside the perforated metal cage, and a larger one in front of the PA deck. You have to remove the cover to see them. You can look inside the cage shining a flashlight through the holes. Don't take that perf cover off if your warranty is still valid.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the info!  I am out of warranty so I will open up the rig and check it out in a couple hours when the XYL hits the sack ...  Anyhow, thanks again for the great info!

---Gary WB8ROL
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited August 2017
    I did check the big fan with a flashlight without having to open the case at all.  It IS most definitely running at power up and all the way until the end of the boot sequence UNTIL the radio shuts down.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Gary,,it would be a good idea to file a help desk and have Dudley run some checks with you.....
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The issue with those small ones in the cage is being able to get them from flex or somewhere else, assuming that you could source they exact same type, regardless of brand. It has to fit, have the tach sensor, and spin the same RPM. I would not attempt to remove it without being able to get a new one. You can shine a light and see if they spin up without removing the cover. You should check the fan cleaning procedure flex has for the radio. Pretty simple. You may have dust accumulation that could be causing your problem. Mine was clean and the fan near the front of the radio was sluggish. The one on the rear is fine, as is the big fan. If it starts shutting off and not boot up again, I'll start a help ticket and send it back while I still have warranty. I would send it in if you can't find an exact replacement. I would also guess that it thermally coupled to the chip with a single use thermally conductive pad, like some computer cpu's have. If an excessive amount of thermal paste were used, it could cause problems. Wouldn't go that route without knowing if flex used it in production or not. Just my two cents.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    In any case, do get with Dudley first. You may not have the fan problem. But it sounds like it.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Scott!  I just opened a helpdesk ticket and will see where it leads.  I will also check the link for cleaning the fans.  I probably, after reading your replies, will not try and replace any fans if that is the problem since finding an exact replacement(s) could be problematic.

In the meantime I will check out the fan cleaning link and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

---Gary WB8ROL
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    This hardware related issue is being handled via the HelpDesk.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.