Flex 6300 V2 Possible Bug

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not a Problem
I've just installed V2 on my 6300. Has anyone noticed that the antenna preamp causes artifacts across the receive spectrum, even on 6m? I haven't had this issue before. Is this a bug or operator error on my part?

See URL at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdIKY_n3_U4

Fleep
KA4KOE
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Delbert McCord

Delbert McCord

• 108 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
How do you like the new software? I ask because I am thinking of buying it. I also have a 6300.
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Too soon to tell. I just got it loaded up and noticed this odd situation.
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Correction. Not noticing on 6m.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2262 Posts
  • 886 Reply Likes
I've seen that on all radios. Basically the preamp is not really for HF use, it's more for the higher bands like 6m and even 10m.
Photo of Gary L. Robinson

Gary L. Robinson

• 246 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I have been using the Ant preamp on 15mtrs with good results and it make a good difference.  I don't have any nearby overloading signals though.  It appears to actually lower my noise floor by 1/2 S Unit too.
Photo of Gary L. Robinson

Gary L. Robinson

• 246 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I forgot to say that I am still using latest 1.x SmartSDR ...
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Delbert....I'm going to have to brush up on networking and reconfigure mine as Smartlink needs specific ports. Needless to say, I'm not a network guru by a long stretch of the imagination.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2262 Posts
  • 886 Reply Likes
I'll help you so we can talk about clowntesting by the Anti Radio Relay League. lol
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 601 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
LOL....
Photo of Delbert McCord

Delbert McCord

• 108 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
OK Thanks, if I would have to get into routers and forward ports (like Echo Link) I think I can live without it haha!
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 304 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Are these spikes present when you disconnect the antenna? Switch to a non-used input? Do you have another radio/spectrum analyzer to verify if these signals are really there?
(Edited)
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 457 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
Philip, you may be close to a very strong (broacast?) station which when the preamp is engaged causes the ADC to overload. Some time ago there was a very interesting and informative thread about this:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...

This might explain what you are experiencing. You might try connecting an external band pass filter, although if the offending signal is within its' passband it may not solve the problem.

As a footnote: Tim mentioned in that thread that an overload indicator was proposed - does anyone know if it has been implemented (two years on) ?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3471 Reply Likes
Not implemented.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 457 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
Thank you Tim
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 844 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Philip, your radio overloaded with strong signals and you can see on the spectrum plenty of interference signals. Important thing is to have right answer on the question: shall I use Preamp on this band/freq ?  You know, in case you noise level after antenna connection popping up (ex 10db) this is indication of the dynamic range limitation from down by noise. in such cases you should not use Preamp but ATT will be a right choice. In case strong signals location out of band, you should used additional preselector in case available.
(Edited)
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I think it was a fluke on my part. The install seems stable.
Photo of Philip KA4KOE

Philip KA4KOE

• 174 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
You know, I did just double the height of my antenna......this makes sense.