Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Transverter input as receive only antenna

Etienne - VE8EM
edited March 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

I have bought an untuned loop antenna (Wellbrook ALA1530LN Pro) that I wish to use however, being a receive only antenna and that transmitting into would damage it, I am worried, even though I could disable TX on the main antenna ports, that I can make a mistake and destroy the antenna amplifier.

This being said, I have read on this forum that some people use the transverter port as an RX antenna port with the RX Only enabled.

So in SmartSDR, in Radio Setup, under the XTVR tab, there is a few settings that must be entered, things like RF Freq, IF Freq, LO Freq, LO Error and RX Gain, what should I input as values into these fields to se it up as an RX antenna?

Thanks.

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No need for that. All you need to do is to plug the antenna to the XVTR port and select it as the RX antenna in the slice. You only need to create a transverter band if you are going to use a transverter.
  • Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited February 2018
    I would like to use the same connector to use my gpsdo freq standard instead of using WWV over the air.  I'll have to give it a try.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Or use the RX A port. Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited February 2018
    It's difficult to use the RX A port when it is used for a 6M antenna for me.  Both antenna ports are in use.
  • Etienne - VE8EM
    edited November 2016

RX A port is only available on the Flex 6500 and 6700.  There is only a XVTR port on the 6300.

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just follow Salvador's advice and you will be fine (been there, done that). 
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If you are totally paranoid(like me) simply set up a DDUTIL macro to toggle between "xvtr" and ant 1 on the RX antenna port.  I use a Wellbrook ALA 100 preamp loop RX ant 

imageimageimage

line 22 toggles between line 61 and line 62

in line 61 DD6RXA0; chooses ANT1 in slice 0.  DDSI:1:ANT1 prints ANT1 in the annunciator box (at the bottom of DDUTIL) and DD6PRG0:-10 sets my preamp to -10 dBm also annunciated under RFg at the bottom of DDUTIL

in line 62 DD6RXA0:4; chooses the XVTR port DDSI:1:RX1; prints RX1 in the 1st box at the bottom of DDUTIL and DD6PRG0:10; switches the preamp to +10 dBm, my preferred gain setting for my loop.  So if I press ANT-1-XVTR I toggle between ANT1 and -10dBm and XVTR +10 dBm  100% safe as long as I use the macro.  In addition the XVTR output is not enough to damage the preamp in any case.

73  W9OY

• Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    what you can buy is a rtr-1 from dx engineering tr switch  will change from tx anteena to rx antenna slick

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.