Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Transmit audio settings

John Watson W4JCW
John Watson W4JCW Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am a long time Kenwood TS-870 user as we all know how the transmit audio is on the 870's!  I am using an Electrovoice RE-20 and want to get as close to the same quality/warm sounding xmit audio...recommendations?

Answers

• Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited March 2017
    I have the RE27ND on my 6300.
    I get excellent audio reports.

VA3KBC

63:-10
    125:-10
    250:+2
    500:-5
    1K:0
    2K:+8
    4K+8
    8K:0
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is a procedure for setting your audio in the SmartSDR for Windows Software User's Guide that is very helpful.
  • KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    John, How did you interface the RE20 to the 6300? Did you use a special cable designed to math the balanced mic output to the 6300 front mic connector?
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2017
    If I had to take a guess, he is using an external mic preamp. The RE20 (and 27 for that matter) needs a LOT of gain to get good hiss-free audio - more gain than I'm guessing the 6xxx can supply. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Not true if using the 8-pin Foster connector on the front of the radio with the Heli cable for interfacing with a balanced mic (3-pin XLR).  The default mic profile settings for the PR781 provides a good starting point for a RE20.  I set one up for a customer a few weeks ago and only a minor tweak of the EQ and setting the gain level was all that was needed.
  • Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited March 2017
    MIC GAIN : 40
    PROC DX+
    8 PIN YAESU HEIL CABLE. 
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2017
    Interesting, Tim. I've never come across a preamp that provided a clean signal for the RE20 for under $100. Nice to know that the 6300's mic preamp has some punch to it. 
  • John Watson W4JCW
    John Watson W4JCW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the input guys...no preamp used or needed. I am currently using the PR781 ESSB settings and am getting great results...if anyone else is using the RE-20 (not the RE-27) with different settings please let me know your view. I did bring the bottom end down to 30 on the ESSB settngs making it just a little warmer...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.