Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Transmit Audio Issues

Options
Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
I'm not sure if this is a transmit problem with my Flex-6300?    I've only owned the radio for two months now so I'm a newbie when it comes to SDR.    On SSB I honestly can say I'm not happy with transmit audio so far.  I've gotten  poor audio reports saying I have a faint echo/raspy sounding audio and I've listened to the transmit audio myself  through other receivers and can confirm the poor audio quality.  It's not even close to my prior rig-FTDX-3000.  I don't run any amplifiers.   I've read through the "How to build a quiet station" info and have practiced and put to use all the things that can possibly cause RFI issues.  I have an excellent ground system and all my cables to and from the radio have mix31 ferrite on them.  It doesn't matter if I use the FRS provided hand mic or a high end Heil PR-781 or PR-22 the results are the same.   I've also tried putting a W2IHY I-box in line between the mic and the 6300.  Nothing changes.   I'm running the latest available version of SSDR. 

On the digital side using WSTJ-X  the radio performs great and I don't have any problems with stations not decoding me but I do notice some spikes which I'm not sure are normal during transmit.   I've provided a screen  shot of my station transmitting a JT-9-1 signal at aprrox 15 watts.  Do others running WSJT-X see these spikes during TX as well? 

I've noticed a few others comment on this issue with the 6300 audio and wonder if I should send the rig in to Flex for a look over?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cal Spreitzer/N3CAL

Comments

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Carl. That is a common sentiment here and I share it. Amazing these SDR Transceivers can't come out of the factory with a decent set of audio defaults with setup and troubleshooting instructions. Settings are a big part of this problem.

I got nothing but bad audio reports with my 6300. It's why the guy I bought it from (who is no AMATEUR HAM) dumped it. I took the chance, and after much on the air testing and patient help solved it. Here is what I did:

1) Got rid of the factory mike. I chose the Heil HMM Handheld since I don't like headsets.
        2) Set my transmit audio to:  -4  -8  -4  +4  +8  +9  +6  +3.

Jackpot! Now I get nothing but rave reviews. Good luck!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You may want to read this post, It may help you...
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6300-echo
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If you haven't, you should connect the radio to a dummy load. If the audio changes, you know it's probably an RF issue.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Jim,

A dummy load was first thing I tried.  I always try and set up my TX with a dummy load first.  I hear no change in audio quality running the rig into a dummy load.  I'm listening to the rig through a another SDR receiver.  It does not matter if it's 1 watt or 100 watts the audio is poor. 
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dave,
    Along with Bills link below, a search within this community using ECO75-006 or just the word Echo will lead you to some info. You should see Bills link within that search I would think. Looks like its 6300 specific and some folks had to send their 6300 back in for work.

Regarding your JT-9 signal. I just checked mine and have about the same indications down around a level of -100 with a couple more a bit lower in amplitude.
    Not sure what it is or IF its even a problem since its pretty low as compared to the main ****.
    Chuck
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  I've been following those posts and it seems after a long drawn out trial and error the rig in question went back to Flex for repair. 

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options

What kind of microphone are you using? You might try transmitting using DAX with an electret microphone and a computer and see if it improves. I don't have a 6300 but a 6500 and I get excellent reports using the electret from my portable computer. The problem, however, with the electret, is it distorts if you talk too loudly or too close to it.

Jim

• Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My 6300 just went back to be looked over for the same issues. You miay want to call Flex & Speak with Dudley , He was very helpful in my case.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I made the comment trying the electret is that it will bypass the audio stages in the Flex. If the audio improves, it might indicate that distortion is taking place in the amplifer stages of the radio.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Indeed, you might want to open a service desk help file.  There have been a few 6300's that have needed a factory fix, referenced in the thread Bill listed above.  The 6000 series are capable of fantastic audio, and yours should be no exception.  Don't let this fester to the point of frustration.  let FRS service help if it needs fixes, or help with adjustments if that is needed.

Ken - NM9P
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I just finished talking to Flex on the phone.  They are creating a service desk ticket and the radio is going back to them to get checked out. 

Cal - N3CAL
  • N0ARX
    N0ARX Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would never expect a hand microphone that came with the radio to perform well. I think it's a waste for them to even send a microphone with them. I get nothing but great reports with my 6300.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options

Dave,  Don't be discouraged.  I went through the echo/grinding noise in the mic circuit of my '6300.  I aggressively addressed grounding, ferrites, etc.  My echo was only apparent to locals hearing me with a very good S/N ratio.  First, you're not alone.  This Community is very helpful, especially with EQ values.  Also, the people at Flex Radio are with you all the way.  After trying to resolve things myself, I talked with Dudley several times.  He authorized an expedited warranty RMA and had the radio FIXED and back to me in 2.5 weeks.  Flex is a pretty unique group of people; smart, busy, in demand but always ready to do whatever it takes to make us customers successful and happy.  My echo was fixed promptly.  Some SSDR quirks take a bit longer.  That's all part of being a pioneer1

Enjoy your radio.  They can fix it!

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Danny - what mic are you using? thx
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As soon as I looked at the image of your panadapter, I saw RF.  Been there. 

I think the hand mic is included as a "starter mic".  It gives you something to get on the air with and prove that everything works while you locate the proper adapter or do the wiring necessary to connect a more suitable mic.

Mic cables have got to be one of the primary sources of RF.  The cables are rarely shielded.  I use Heil shielded cable on my mics and it works to keep the RF out.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Steve,

Interesting comment.  FYI, I'm not using the starter mic.  I only mentioned the starter mic because my issue happens no matter what mic I use. 

The panadapter image I attached is not a SSB transmission,  it's actually a  WSJT-X JT-9-1 transmission at 15 watts.   That transmission is using the DAX. At the time of that image snapshot I had a Heil PR-22 mic attached via a Heil XLR Cable to a Behringer 802 Mixer,  the mixer is connected to the Flex 6300 via a W2IHY I-box (isolation transformer) using the 8 pin foster connector on the front of the radio.   

Can you please point out where the RF you are seeing?  

Cal-N3CAL
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In my case I don't think it's a rf issue, if so it has to be internal to rig. Even when connected to a dummy load and set for only a few watts output it's got VERY BAD xmit audio. I listen on my K3, as the Flex monitor function is useless in this regard. Anyone know for sure what the fix is, I really don't want to send rig to Austin for what may be a SIMPLE easy to do mod?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't do much phone, but have got more than a few unsolicited good audio reports from my 6300 using the supplied mic.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you lower the power on the transmit side to an absolute minimum into the dummy load does the bad audio go away. If so, it's an RF issue. Remember. The. Dummy load is only taking RF out of ur. Antenna port. RFis sneaky. It can leak out from anywhere. Such as ur mike cable or ur ethernet cable or ur power cable.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Cal, 

When I had my RF issues I was seeing spikes much like the ones on your display.  I saw them both on phone and CW, didn't try it on digital modes.  Both my SSB signal and my CW both sounded raspy.  The audio was getting in primarily through the mic cable but also through the lead to the powered speaker.  With the mic cable, I changed to shielded cable.  With the audio, I put on an isolation transformer and that cured it.

It's possible that something else could be going on. BTW, I use a Heil PR 781 and sometimes a refurbished D-104 with the Heil replacement element for SSB. 
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    FYI, I sent my 6300 back to Flex last week to be checked out for this issue. They received my rig on Friday and today (Monday) I just received an email from Flex confirming the issue and that the following was done by Flex Service Department:  "Applied ECO 75-1006, Ran tests, Passed tests".  I'm not exactly sure what ECO 75-1006 is but my rig is on it's way back to me.  Many thanks to Flex doing such a quick turnaround which I'm grateful for!   That's great customer service!  My best guess is that ECO 75-1006 has something to do with the radio's internal grounding.  

Cal/N3CAL 
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cal,

Please report back with us about your observations vis-a-vis the repair. Echo on Flex signals is so prevalent you can hear discussions about RF ingress and echo on most every band. There would appear to be a hyper-sensitivity to RF currents that in many installations ferrites and grounding schemes cannot vanquish. 

dan W7NGA
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

modify if necessary the grounding point of the mic input circuit to improve noise rejection.  There is no cable involved; the circuit is on the TRX board.
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
  • N0ARX
    N0ARX Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Alan I am using a Heil PR40. I am really happy with it too.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Agree. That fix took care of my echo and fan noise. The local who complained about my transmit audio now praise it. Flex cheerfully stands by their products.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Corey, I am listening to you on 17-meters and you most definitely have RF ingress issues that are tearing your audio. You've just received your 6300 back from the factory so I thought you might be interested in a report.

With additional listening, you have a lot of energy in the unused sideband and could be overdriving your amplifier if you are using one. A very strong signal but something isn't linear.

73's,  dan W7NGA
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Dan. Thank you for listening & Letting me know... I am using a EQ Plus & 8 band EQ  from W2IHY Driving a Ameritron ALS-600 Amp. using the outboard EQ & turning off the Flex EQ, also have the 20Db off.   Using settings on the EQ given to me by a 6300 & 6500 Flex owner, I've tried several different things including other Mic's. Originally tried a unbalanced Heil HM-10 directly into the Flex 8 pin foster, That proved not to work, Also tried the hand mic without success. Just got off the phone with Flex, Spoke to Matt & He's going to send me a new Heil cable to try with this PR-781 directly into the 8 pin foster bypassing all the external EQ equipment.  If that doesn't work, I'm committed to Flex, Their service is second to none & If I'm unable to achieve the quality of audio with this 6300 it will be traded in for a 6500, I'm thinking that would solve my problem.  By the way only driving the amp with about 55 watts.  So I know something isn't correct. But what? I've had this station torn apart working on this & that putting 43 ferrites on every cable I could.    Thanks again, I do appreciate your critique.       
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mix 31 is better for HF. See DX Engineering. But there must be some other ingress of RF. Yes, take the external audio gear out of the equation in order to isolate the problem. Once you get it fixed with the mike only, you can add that stuff back into the audio line.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The most important place to put the ferrites is at the feed point of your antenna. You need about 18 inches worth to do the job. Also, Ken is right mix 31 is better for HF frequencies.

Jon...kf2e

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.