Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEx 6300 RX signal attenuation

Gary Clarke
Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I use a flex 6300 and today when turning the radio on i noticed that the noise and signals were about 20-30db down on what i would normally expect to see. Same on different bands / antennas. Transmit is fine, problem is just with receive. Ive seen various threads about this problem but doesn't seem to be clarity about what as resolved this issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is there a question? comment? Gary
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    Hi Gary

Can you post a screen shot of SmartSDR showing all the controls?  That helps us see what your settings are.  

Are you sure you have both Transmit and Receive antenna as the same?

Mike
  • Gary Clarke
    Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Mike, its happening on same transmit / receive antenna. Ant  1= 40 meter yagi, Ant 2= 10 meter vertical. Nothing as changed with radio settings since i used the radio yesterday. normally at this time of the evening scope is populated with lots of signals. friend and i worked New Zealand on 40 metes earlier, i couldn't hear him and my friend 5 miles away worked him fine. same is happening on 10 meters my noise floor as dropped dramatically and local signals are down by about 4 s points. different antenna obviously. Transmit signal is fine, please see attached photo
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2020
    Are you sure you don't have an antenna issue?   It could have a good SWR and still be bad.  Similar to a dummy load.  Maybe a questionable patch cord.

BTW, your AGC-T is at 100%.  For 40M, I would expect it to be set about 30%.  

The photo is pretty small and hard to read the settings.  

What I would do is export your profiles to save them and then reset the radio and test again.  

Maybe someone else can see something out of place.

Mike 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    It looks like he has everything set for max in order to hear the best. I would also suggest to do radio reset. I would just do a factory reset, then import your profiles back.
  • Gary Clarke
    Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ok, I've carried out further experiments and it appears that when i change the rx antenna on 40 meters from ant 1 (40 meter beam) to ant 2 (10 meter vertical) there is no difference in rx signal.same applies when i'm on 10 meters and switch to the 40 meter beam, it makes no difference to the rx signal so i'm getting somewhere. Its like its stuck on the same antenna but with attenuation thrown into the mix as well. neither antennas are receiving like they should on either band

• Gary Clarke
    Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Mike, the 40 meter antenna goes to ant 1 via an amplifier, the 10 meter antenna goes straight into ant 2 on radio. also tried both antennas into back of rig. Please see comment i made below ref the changing of rx antenna not making any difference to rx signal. 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited January 2020
    Did you reset the radio yet?
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    ESD, Electrostatic Discharge Device  bad?
  • Gary Clarke
    Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Mike, i did a reset and its made no difference. signals are all down on rx regardless of antenna. swr great on both antennas and tx performance isnt affected. My local 10 meter beacon is normally s5 today its s1. Its like a attenuation swich as been turned on, but i can only alter the RF GAIN on the antenna switch on left hand side, is this right ?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Gary, I have a similar issue that occurs on 40 meters.  Here is a video describing the issue and what I can do to resolve it.  Perhaps this will help you ? I have opened a ticket with Flex support and it is documented as a software defect.  -Joe N3HEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkHuF64wMA&feature=youtu.be
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited January 2020
    Hi Gary

If you have eliminated the environment as the problem, then you will need to open a support case.  Depending what they find out, you may have to send it in for service.  

Do you have a signal generator at all?

Mike

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited January 2020
    I have converted this to a support case.
  • Gary Clarke
    Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thank you Mike
  • Gary Clarke
    Gary Clarke Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Joe, thanks thats really interesting. My problem is on different bands with different antennas and won't fix by alternating antennas like yours did. I've just had a support case opened so hopefully we can get it sorted quickly. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.