Flex 6300 resets

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I have a problem with my 6300 shutting down if I use my AT-500 automatic tuner or if I use my TL-922A linear amplifier above 600 watts. It happens on several bands. I have changed power supplies, voltage is not dropping down on the power supply.  SmartSDR locks on shutdown and the 6300 shuts down just like I hit the off button.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 589 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
For me -  you don't have a problem with your 6300. You have HF in shack ! That's all and a real old problem!
Real HF grounding from ONE central point(!) to every device , Ferrite chokes on power supply cable, power cords not parallel to coax .......
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Definitely RF in the shack getting into ur systems

Here is a link to how to fix it

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

Why is it my 5000 did not have RF in the shack? What is it with the tuner that causes the re-set?

The SWR is not that high without the tuner.

If there is RF in the shack how come nothing gets into the amplified speakers?

(Edited)
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 589 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
EVERY inch movement of any device or cable change situation. Believe grounding, grounding, grounding ...
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Irrelevant that SWR is not high. Toroids on everything then add more toroids
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
I'd suspect RF getting into your Ethernet cabling. Something your 5000 didn't have that could account for the rig crashing. Shielded CAT is a mixed bag; sometimes it helps, other times it creates a ground loop. You may need to experiment with your networking setup. Howard's grounding advice is solid for all of us. Oh, and PS, the tuner probably causes the problem during the tune process, right? When a match has not been fully established, "incidental" radiation from the feeders and tuner is at its worst.

Sounds like your shack is "pretty close" RF wise, so you should be able to get the Ethernet squared pretty quickly. Check the switch, it's power supply, etc.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 589 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
Can also any other cable. Mic, Keyer, Speaker ..
HF is like water - he always found his way in! :-)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
George I did have a firewire connection to the computer with the 5000, but I will try a different Ethernet cable. The one I am using is NOT shielded. Great suggestion.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Burt: Just curious...Is your 6300's ethernet cable connected directly to your router or to your PC?
I had trouble with RF on that cable and had to get a big torroid core and wrap about 8 turns of the ethernet cable around it. Problem solved. I think RF and Ethernet don't mix well.
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 589 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
Steve, it depend also what type of Ethernet cable you using. CAT5, CAT6.
There many cheap cables on market. I still remove all(!) CAT5 cables and change to CAT6 with shielded plugs. Switches only with metal enclosure will used.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Chris. I've heard good and bad about shielded enet cable. Some say the shield acts like an antenna. Others say to ground only one end and others say don't use it. Glad it worked out for you though. 73
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
My Ethernet cable is connected to the router and is coiled. I assume that is NOT good.
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 71 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Strangely from the good old US we use this http://www.digikey.co.uk/catalog/en/partgroup/cat6-double-shielded-cables/42961 I find that is more that adequate around RF. The 4 twisted pairs individually shielded prevent the issue the outer screen then you can choose to use or lose.

But as everyone has said it is choke choke choke choke choke choke until it has all gone - and remember the issue is either direct radiation from the antenna in the shack OR arriving down the feeder back to the shack - both can be minimised with good practises.

Also make sure you get a cheap as chips CB style field strength meter and have that as a tool to sniff out RF locally.

Good luck.

73 Steve
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Toroids toroids toroids
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Mix 31 toroids. Others won't likely help.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
What is "Mix 31 toroid's?"
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Toroids are made of different materials. Only 31 mix and to a lesser extent 43 mix are effective at HF frequencies. That is why you never buy ferrites at a hamfests. They never know what type they are. Here is a good place to look for ferrites...

http://www.fair-rite.com

Everyone should have about a foot to a foot and a half of them coming off the feed point of their antenna. Once I put them on mine per Gerald's recommendation, I never had RF in the shack again.

You can fight the problem in your shack with toroids on all the cables or just stop it before it gets in with toroids at the feed point of you antenna.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Looks like they recommend 75 instead of 31 now. Something new?
http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/LowFreqSuppression.html
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Can you make a specific recommendation as the site has many to choose from?
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
These are the ones I bought. They are Fair-rite but I bought them from Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/2631102002/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsuct6UGZJC7V3VDI5SybAbp%2fqib...

These are solid core so they have to go on a coax before the connector. They also sell split cores that snap on. I have tried the split cores but they are .400 inside diameter and the cable(rg8) is .405. They will go on but probably not in winter.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
I saw this on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hotsale-LZT-1000-Electromagnetic-Field-Radiation-Detector-field-strength-Tes...

I know nothing about it, but I wonder if it might be useful finding the source of noise around the shack. I'm probably to cheap to just try it but maybe someone knows something about them?

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Specs say "Test Bandwidth: 5Hz-3500MHz".
Sounds interesting. How about buying one and letting us know?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Looks like one of those microwave oven leakage detectors. Might not be that useful with HF.