Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Mechanical Noise

Philip KA4KOE
Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
My Flex 6300 makes this semi-periodic noise on receive from inside the case. I understand the fans run all the time. This almost sounds like a hard drive sound. I do not know if this is normal or not. Listen to the linked file from SoundCloud.....

https://soundcloud.com/user-885349244/flex-6300-periodic-buzzing-sound

Philip

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The only moving parts are fans.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I am unable to listen to your audio sample for some reason, but if the noise doesn't sound right I would suggest opening a support ticket.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    There is no HDD, only an SD card with the software in it. What you are hearing is either the case fan or FPGA fan. (don't know if the 6300 has one). 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Philip,
    There are 3 fans in the 6300.  
    1 - case fan
    1 - CPU fan
    1 - FPGA fan.

More info on the fans on my web page here:
    http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Sometimes cleaning can help and there is a help desk note on the process.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001282823-How-to-properly-clean-the-FLEX-6000-Co...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.11.12
    Win10
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I listened to the sound byte again and it sounds almost like a buzzing.  So another possibility might be a relay...so something else to consider.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.11.12
    Win10
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    First thought was a relay.  Do you have the tuner option installed? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    No I don't. It does this in receive just sitting there.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Periodic fan noise, been there done that. Give an old fashioned whack, clean it, or send it back to Flex. Known issue sad as it is, may even get the dreaded FPGA temp error. Makes me understand why the new Flex depends more on passive cooling and larger, slower fan cooling. You are not alone, luckily mine just went away...for now.
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Great info. No problems with mine, but I am a little late to the "fan discussion". Did some searching, but it seems there is no way to quiet this beast down?!  After spending the time and effort to create a silent PC, this thing is really loud by comparison!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yes the radio has to deal with much more heat then a computer does. You will hear the fans run at idol speed unless the temp rises to make them increase speed.
    I have been talking to some on their new 6600, they say it is much better in this regard.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2018

"Yes the radio has to deal with much more heat then a computer does"

Bill, I don't know how you come up with these zingers. It makes my skin crawl. It's like you would say or do anything to apologize for Flex.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I could be wrong, I was under the impression a radio PA needs more cooling then most computers do.  I'm sorry I make your skin crawl, such is life.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    And remember when using the Community always show respect to others regardless of their opinions. Give people the benefit of the doubt, just like you would if talking to them in person. Posts that include personal attacks, overtly negative comments, non-constructive criticism, falsehoods, defamation of character, libelous speech, or gratuitous profanity will be removed, as they do not contribute to the community atmosphere we want to maintain. Any pattern of poor behavior may result in losing your Community posting privileges.  Please folks.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Gang, there are a number of things that can cause fan noise.  they are moving parts, and do not last forever, and occasionally fail, or start to make noise.  if you feel your noise is not normal for your product, the best advice is to open a trouble ticket with the flex support team, so they can validate your issue and if needed co-ordinate rma or service.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.