Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Headset Adapter for Yamaha CM500?

K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend an adapter to connect a Yamaha CM500 to the Foster connector on the front of the 6300?  The one offered by Flex does not pass bias voltage.

Anyone using this setup?  Suggested settings?

73 de K1ESE
John

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I use the Heil,adapter for a Yaesu with my Icom proset and it works good and passes the bias voltage to the element
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have a Koss SB45 (electret condeser mic - electrically equivalent to the CM500 I have read). Can the mic be wired directly to the Foster connector (pin 2 bias to ring, pin 7 to sleeve, pin 8 to tip)? Or must I add the accustomed resistor and capacitor to limit current and DC block the bias from pin 8? 
  • Scott - WM7C
    Scott - WM7C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I bought one of these for my Kenwood TS-590s when I had it.  It works great.  Obviously, this can be made if you have the materials needed. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W2ENY-MIC-1-8-and-PTT-1-4-Adapter-fits-Yamaha-CM500-to-your-Yaesu-/231254757...
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Scott, but I'm a "do it yourself-er" and I have all the parts. It just need to figure out if the 6300 has the current limiting resistor and DC blocking cap inside already, or if it is inside the headphone already, or if I need to add those pieces inside the foster connector.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Wait a minute does the Yamaha cm 500 need the bias voltage? If not just turn it off in the setup menus. If you need it turn it off. Why would you need to block something you can turn off
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The CM500 headset contains an electret mic and does need the bias voltage
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Let me rephrase the question so we don't go down a tangential rabbit hole about the specific model. 

Does the Flex 6300 do DC blocking internally on the mic+/- audio inputs?

If so, then I can connect the electret directly. Anybody?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    As was said, turn off the bios voltage. The head set has it's own power with the battery pack. just connect directly into the input. I have used this headset on a Flex 3000 for some time now.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The KOSS SB-45 does not have an internal battery. I am expecting and will need bias on pin 2. I don't expect that I need to put a current limiting resistor on that, I'm sure the Flex guys built that in as protection, but do I need to block the DC on the mic input.

How many ways can I ask the same question? Is my question ambiguous?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I see what has happened, you should have started a new thread instead of using the CM500 thread. You may get a better response.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited December 2015
    Can confirm that Scott's link is exactly what you need (Yaesu pinout), John. Bought one over the summer and used the CM500 during a few different side band contests on my 6300. Worked great, good audio reports. 
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    And so it is done.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.