Flex 6300 Headset Adapter for Yamaha CM500?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Can anyone recommend an adapter to connect a Yamaha CM500 to the Foster connector on the front of the 6300?  The one offered by Flex does not pass bias voltage.

Anyone using this setup?  Suggested settings?

73 de K1ESE
John
Photo of K1ESE

K1ESE

• 132 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 810 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
I use the Heil,adapter for a Yaesu with my Icom proset and it works good and passes the bias voltage to the element
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 387 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I have a Koss SB45 (electret condeser mic - electrically equivalent to the CM500 I have read). Can the mic be wired directly to the Foster connector (pin 2 bias to ring, pin 7 to sleeve, pin 8 to tip)? Or must I add the accustomed resistor and capacitor to limit current and DC block the bias from pin 8? 
Photo of Scott - WM7C

Scott - WM7C

• 42 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Official Response
I bought one of these for my Kenwood TS-590s when I had it.  It works great.  Obviously, this can be made if you have the materials needed. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W2ENY-MIC-1-8-and-PTT-1-4-Adapter-fits-Yamaha-CM500-to-your-Yaesu-/231254757...
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Can confirm that Scott's link is exactly what you need (Yaesu pinout), John. Bought one over the summer and used the CM500 during a few different side band contests on my 6300. Worked great, good audio reports. 
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 387 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Thanks Scott, but I'm a "do it yourself-er" and I have all the parts. It just need to figure out if the 6300 has the current limiting resistor and DC blocking cap inside already, or if it is inside the headphone already, or if I need to add those pieces inside the foster connector.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 418 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Wait a minute does the Yamaha cm 500 need the bias voltage? If not just turn it off in the setup menus. If you need it turn it off. Why would you need to block something you can turn off
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 886 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
The CM500 headset contains an electret mic and does need the bias voltage
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 387 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Let me rephrase the question so we don't go down a tangential rabbit hole about the specific model. 

Does the Flex 6300 do DC blocking internally on the mic+/- audio inputs?

If so, then I can connect the electret directly. Anybody?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Yes.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3981 Posts
  • 971 Reply Likes
As was said, turn off the bios voltage. The head set has it's own power with the battery pack. just connect directly into the input. I have used this headset on a Flex 3000 for some time now.
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 387 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
The KOSS SB-45 does not have an internal battery. I am expecting and will need bias on pin 2. I don't expect that I need to put a current limiting resistor on that, I'm sure the Flex guys built that in as protection, but do I need to block the DC on the mic input.

How many ways can I ask the same question? Is my question ambiguous?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3981 Posts
  • 971 Reply Likes
I see what has happened, you should have started a new thread instead of using the CM500 thread. You may get a better response.
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 387 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
And so it is done.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.