Flex 6300 been in storage.

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Hi, I've just taken my 6300 out of two years storage, after a move. Really looking forward to using it again and to the SSDR 2.0 upgrade. So ...I fired the rig up without incident  but immediately had problems with my (multipurpose) Win 10 computer randomly rebooting and or freezing   B(  I had similar problems once before and I'm not prepared to do battle with it again.  Question : Is there any reason that I can't take an older "capable"  Win 7 machine and run the Flex off of that ? It would be offline & dedicated to the rig. I plan on upgrading to version 2.0  but after being away for what seems like forever, don't know the requirements or the feasibility of using a Win 7 machine.  Thoughts ?
TIA
Ken
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 101 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Paul

Paul

• 470 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
My shack computer is Win 7 based and SSDR runs fine. It's on 24/7/365 and is reliable. DAX and SSDR CAT also work as advertised. Hope this helps.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 528 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Ken I am of the same mindset.
I have absolutely no desire to fight with is this and simply don't need the aggravation.
I run with a Win7Pro machine. Maybe by the time ms stops servicing 7 they will have gotten W10 to a friendlier state.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2961 Posts
  • 642 Reply Likes
I too am running Win 7,,,never an issue.
Photo of Dudley - WA5QPZ

Dudley - WA5QPZ, Elmer

• 70 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Ken,

You may have to update your .NET Framework version on Win7 ,  depending on the age,  Win7 is getting very long in the tooth ,  and if you don't update it,  keep it off the Internet,  due to lack of security updates.   

You should not have an issue with 1.12.11 version , be sure to read the "Release Notes"   https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr_v1-11-12_release_notes-pdf/?wpdmdl=3031&refresh=5bc...

And do a firmware reset (be sure to Export your profiles that you have in the radio if you need to save them) .    The firmware reset is needed when jumping forward several versions,  reload your profiles.  

Dudley

Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 248 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
FWIW, I’ve been running both my shack computer and my remote site computer on WIN7 since August 2014 and never had a problem, so I’m happy to stay with WIN7 into the foreseeable future rather than risking the dreaded port scrambling that people somtimes experience with Windows 10 major updates.

Having said that, I also understand the most Flex 6xxx users have little if any problems with Windows 10 if the recommended procedures are followed.

Winston VK7WH
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 101 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Thanks guys... Win 7 it is.  I'll wait until I have a solid, updated (dedicated) Win 7 computer running  before I download 2.0 . With my luck, the Win 10 machine would reboot in the middle of the upgrade...    FYI... I like Win 10 just fine for everyday use but, like many,  don't have time or patience for it's tumultuous relationship with SSDR.   Off to see what I can cobble together...
Ken
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 528 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
I have a couple of Win10 laptops I use for casual browsing, email and maintaining a couple of web sites.

No issues but now I plan on using one of them to remote SSDR from my daughter's home. Guess this will be where the tires hit the road. Hopefully an uneventful experience.

Stay tuned.....
(Edited)