Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX-6300 and problems with THP HL550fx amplifier

dan
dan Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Greetings. Enjoying the FLEX-6300 and Smart SDR 1.6.17. This is real treat since I've been using my FLEX-3000 without issues for about 3 years now. Now that I am able to connect the  6300 (ESET Security was blocking) and got a chance to play with Smart SDR, I decided to hook up my THP HL-550fx amplifier to the 6300.  When I tune with anymore than 10 watts the amp overdrive circuit kicks in (never had this problem with the FLEX-3000). It also kicks in with SSB with the power set at less than 50 watts talking in a "normal voice".  I played with software settings, referring to the Smart SDR manual and tried many different combos, but the amp still kicks off. I have RCA plugs going to the amp from the rig in the PTT and ALC. I was a tad worried that I might have done something to the amp and hooked it back up top my FLEX 3000 and it works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks. 

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016

Have you tried hooking the amplifer to a dummy load to exclude any RF issues?

Jim, K6QE

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Make sure you are using the right rca connectors in the back. The tx and alc are NOT together.

You should connect to TX (not PTT) and ALC. image
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Also, I recommend that you avoid ALC altogether.
    DDutil works great to set the best power per band on the Flex.
  • dan
    dan Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Salvador. I think you may have something there. I had the cable in the PTT for some reason. I will try and get back. Thanks for all the quick replies.

KH6DAN Dan.
  • dan
    dan Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    That was it. I had the cable in the wrong hole. Thanks again Salvador. Putting out 500 watts again. 73 from San Antonio, Texas. KH6DAN 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Lol, no problem, "been there, done that" no t-shirt though.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    +1 for using DDutil for best power per band!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.